My new 2600 gallon plywood tank project

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Oh, I thought he went with the ones like John did on his stingray tank.

Yeah, a guy on Bayou Reef Keepers suggested going with one made by a reliable company like Ecoxotic. It might be worth the extra money to get something with a warranty and that lasts.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Those look really similar to the units that he was using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190613753919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I was looking at these LED floodlights too. It looks like they you can get them at all sorts of different wattages. It's a shame they have such a crappy (only 30 day) warranty...kinda makes you wonder...they advertise a 60,000 hour life-span and are only willing to warranty the product for 720 hours (assuming you are running them 24-7 for the first month, which who even does that)?

If you end up getting those, please keep us posted on your experience with them.
Those are like the ones I tried...way to yellow for me. The ones Pete posted have a 2 year warrantee.

Valous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Elkton,md
Tank looks great!!!

Good to know about the LEDs as I was planning on getting those as well. I found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/271033327306#ht_500wt_1414 that might work. They are essential 250 watt metal halides in LED form.

How much coverage per 1.5 gallons of Max ACR did you get? Do you think I'd have to sheath over the Permadri Rubber Coat with 1/4" plywood or can I go over what I have already?
I bought one of these because of suggestions from 2 different websites. Were it looked great and gave that shimmer look. But it only last about 5 months with being on 10 hrs per-day. After a while the led inside started flashing and slowly started flashing faster. But other people seem to not have any problems with the lights so it might be a hit or miss.

BTW VL like the tank and great read.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Well pete and OP I tried out those 30w 10k's you posted...I LOVE them so far! I think they should be covered for 2 years too. I have talked to the seller about maybe some dimable ones so you can hook to a controler or some 50w ones in the 10K color.

[video=youtube_share;EkLDFOYcIhU]http://youtu.be/EkLDFOYcIhU?hd=1[/video]

serialblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2012
Canada
Not sure if you covered this, but to be sure I was wondering how much and how often (per day,week?) you feed your fish, and if you don't mind saying, rough cost? I have three I.D. Sharks and a banded hifin, which I know get VERY large, so I am trying to prep myself now while they are just above "fry" sized in comparison to yours.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
2nd pair of LED Floods died the other day and I will be replacing them with 24v DC versions of similar lights.

IF these fail then I am back to the drawing board on lights. There are no good options for large tanks like this and lights.

I am also considering building a cover that will flip up (When I need to get in tank) to make it easier to traverse the top without running temporary runners to crawl on. This will also help keep the moisture down and then maybe I can remove the de-humidifier from service.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store