My new 2600 gallon plywood tank project

serialblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2012
Canada
Don't suppose you have figured out what your running costs are on this tank have you? I would love to have something like this, however the cost of water/hydro kinda scares me a little. :irked:

APreston13

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
hey i just watched the videos for both your tanks on youtube and they are amazing. I have experience building acrylic aquariums bonding acrylic to acrylic but never acrylic to wood. I was wondering if you could share with me how you adhered/sealed the acrylic panels to the front supports. i noticed in the video that the substance was black but wasn't sure exactly what it was. I would greatly appreciate a response. Thanks:)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I would love to have something like this, however the cost of water/hydro kinda scares me a little. :irked:
Don't over-stock it or jump on the "I'm going to change 60% a week for the hell of it" bandwagon, use pothos to consume nitrate to reduce the need for WCs, and start collecting rain water [if feasible] and the water bill shouldn't be too bad I imagine (although I have no idea what you pay for water in Canada...). I was worried about the water consumption of the big tank I'm planning (which may end up being more like 2000L than the 1750L it says in my sig depending on what glass the tank maker can get) as we're rural and rely on rain water for everything, I intend to do all of the above to try to minimise the amount of water I go thru every week. I'd expect the electricity bill from the pumps and heating to be more of a concern than the water though.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Pumps take up about 700 watts and heating is off the main gas water heater so hard to measure that. Water is 4GPH drip and a filter rinse once a month (maybe 200 gallons to do this).

Window sealant was DOW 795 sealant.

I recently swapped out the 110vAC LED lights for 12vDC versions because of the saftey concerns of them being in such high humity being in the tunnel of moisture that is above the tank.

Thanks for all the views.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store