My New 900 gallon, filtration ideas from you seasoned MFK'ers, Advice Needed !

FlatFishLeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
USA
Hey Guys, I'm very excited on my new score!!! I just picked up a Tenecor 900gal tank 10' x 4' x 3' high, 1" thick acrylic all the way around with dual trapezoid overflows in the back, each overflow box has 1x 2" drains with 2x 3/4" returns (has room to drill another 2" drain in each box). Original owner was running it as a Marine Shark Tank with a 100gal Tenecor Wet-Dry filter with 2x Reef Flow darts (4300ghp) along with a huge ASM G6 skimmer and a large wattage UV filter. Im switching it over to FW obviously and need some advice from you pros before I proceed. The tank will be on a 40" high steel stand in my garage, I have a fully automated water changing system in my fish room so this tank will be under 2 valves that will be able to flush system as many times a day as I want. I like the ideas of running a closed loop system with Ultima II's and Glass Filters like I've been reading about (Need to know what size would be sufficient). Can i run a closed loop system without drilling anymore holes in the tank, if it does where should I locate them? Hoping to use a 2" as the Pump input and the other as an overflow/drain of waste water for the automated fill/flush? I'd prefer to run my life-support under the tank since the wall it's on is only 13" long. A plus is that the tank will be about 3 feet from my 80gal water heater, so running a heat exchanger should keep the tank warm though the winter months. I just would like to hear some opinions about what I should continue to use and what to scrap. Thanks to all my MFK buddies who helped with the move of the tank, it went very smooth since everyone there either had a 10' tank or 900gal setups! MFK gathering on the DL! Please post pics of you set-ups and details? Thanks in advance!

I will link this thread to the Ultimate Filtration Thread and Evolving: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...SH!!!!!!/page11&highlight=ultimate+filtration so please chime in.

What came with the tank:
1. Hayward S180T Sand Filter
2. 60" x 18" x 20" Wet Dry Sump
3. 2x Reef Flow Darts (4300gph)
4. UV filter

Tenecor 900gal:

100gal Sump and Ghetto Tubing:

Pumps:

Hayward Sand Filter:

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Great pickup, I saw this for sale you got it for a steal!

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Subscribed. :thumbup: Nice pick up. Will be interested in seeing what others with a tank similar in size have to say about filtration as well.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I can't believe that stand held that tank up!
The 100g sump will not be enough if you had plans to run that. I would use it along with your ultima. But change the layout. Run some filter socks and a ton of ceramic media or pond matrix

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Send Kendragon a pm. He is the master of filtration on the site.

What are the plans for stock? And awesome new tank!

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Hey awsome !! Ya my tank is 120x36x36...Filtration will depend greatly on your stock choices both now and what the future will bring to the tank and right now is the perfect time to start with design and like i say keeping in mind what your tank stock "WILL" look like is most important !!!!Oh and by the way my tank is a tenecor also with 1 inch all around ...I drilled mine for a closed loop but that is completly up to you:)

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Nice tank...those dimensions are awesome. I have a Tenecor 10x3x4 and I wish it were 10x4x3...I like your larger foot print.

I've never run a closed loop with a bead/sand filter, but I would think you would want the feed to be directly from the display (not within the overflow tower) so that you don't run out of water while you're backflushing...I'll leave that to the guys with experience running them.

I have a 150G sump on my tank: three 2" drains into three 8x32" filter socks and 20L of pond matrix for bio and I think you are better off running a bead filter...cleaning filter socks gets old really quick (about once every 10 days for me and I stock lightly relative to most guys on here); the ease of backwashing bead filters seems to be a huge advantage of running that type of filtration.

I'll send you a link to a thread on a different forum with some real good info on steel stands in case you are interested...I think it's worth checking out, especially if you are in the process of having the stand built.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store