My New 900 gallon, filtration ideas from you seasoned MFK'ers, Advice Needed !

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I bought my Ultimas from aquaticponds.com nearly three years ago. At the time, they had the best pricing I could find. I went to their site today, and you have to email them for pricing. On 1/7/10 I purchased two Ultima II 4000s from them for 1599.90/free shipping.

A quick search today, Inland Koi -- 919.80
http://www.inlandkoi.com/ultimaii4000.html

Amazon's price: 932.40

I don't know if aquaticponds still has lower prices.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Floor drains are really really nice you will not be able to keep sand in it but you will never have to clean the bottom ever. All depends on stock plans but a tile bottom with floor drains and a closed loop system plus a sump will sure make it nice.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My larger tanks are set up this way with both a closed loop and sump. I do it for a few reasons. The sump is set up to skim surface water keeping oils and crap off the surface also I hide my heaters in the sump and I run a trickle system for my water changes. Its easy to add a drain to a sump and run a 1 GPH, or so, trickle to the tank, which overflows down into the sump then out the sump to the yard or where ever. No more water changes ever.
My closed loops are set up to run left to right (side to side) from the lower side of the tank to the other side. This system keeps constant water movement across the gravel/sand and stirs up/cleans the lower area. Also I can avoid check valves on my sump system because there's no need for my sump returns to force water all the way to the bottom of the tank. I just use a spray bar at the top for my sump returns, when I lose a pump or power I don't syphon the whole tank to the sump. My closed loop system handles the lower water areas fine.
If you do end up drilling the sides or bottom for a closed loop drill for schedule 80 bulkheads. So far I have never had a schedule 80 fail but eventually it will happen. Keep that in mind.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I bought my Ultimas from aquaticponds.com nearly three years ago. At the time, they had the best pricing I could find. I went to their site today, and you have to email them for pricing. On 1/7/10 I purchased two Ultima II 4000s from them for 1599.90/free shipping.

A quick search today, Inland Koi -- 919.80
http://www.inlandkoi.com/ultimaii4000.html

Amazon's price: 932.40

I don't know if aquaticponds still has lower prices.

Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 4000 Filter 1 1/2" is currently $806.95. Free Shipping.

Coupon Code - auultima4000

http://www.aquaticponds.com/Aqua-Ultraviolet-Ultima-II-4000-Filter-_p_697.html

they still have the best price that I can find. Rats, it's less than I paid 3 years ago.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

FlatFishLeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
USA
Thanks, looks like I'll be ordering a 2" Ultima II 4,000! I'll be going from left to right. You think my pumps will suffice if I have a 40" high stand plus the 36" height on the tank? I'll be running Hayward SCH80 2" bulkheads!

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Thanks, looks like I'll be ordering a 2" Ultima II 4,000! I'll be going from left to right. You think my pumps will suffice if I have a 40" high stand plus the 36" height on the tank? I'll be running Hayward SCH80 2" bulkheads!
For a closed loop you don't have to worry about the height of the stand or tank when figuring in the head pressure. Just all the bends and actual length of the pipe. Going 2" will help a lot on reducing head pressure for your overall system. Good call on the schedule 80 bulkheads, they are worth the extra $$$'s

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
The filter itself adds anywhere from 3' to 8' of head pressure, so you would add that to the vertical distance you would be pushing water to get a general idea of your system's total head height.

Since you probably won't be able to fit the Ultima 4000 under your stand, you could build a platform next to the stand to elevate it so that you can run the returns to the top of the tank while not having to overcome all the head height you would be battling from the floor. If you run the filter from the floor to the top of your tank, you would have about 12' of head, and the Dart does less than 1,000GPH at 12' head pressure, so that wouldn't work.

Another option is to drill the return low in the tank, but whenever possible, I think it's smart to have your returns high in the tank, so if I were in your shoes, I would build a platform and elevate the filter.

FlatFishLeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
USA
I was totally thinking about building a shelf the same level as the tank rather than on the floor. Great Idea! How are the Hammerhead Pumps? You think a Ultima II 2000 too small for my tank. I found one locally used?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
The filter itself adds anywhere from 3' to 8' of head pressure, so you would add that to the vertical distance you would be pushing water to get a general idea of your system's total head height.

Since you probably won't be able to fit the Ultima 4000 under your stand, you could build a platform next to the stand to elevate it so that you can run the returns to the top of the tank while not having to overcome all the head height you would be battling from the floor. If you run the filter from the floor to the top of your tank, you would have about 12' of head, and the Dart does less than 1,000GPH at 12' head pressure, so that wouldn't work.

Another option is to drill the return low in the tank, but whenever possible, I think it's smart to have your returns high in the tank, so if I were in your shoes, I would build a platform and elevate the filter.
This is a closed loop system so there's no added head pressure from the height or location of the filter relative to the tank other than added plumbing. If, for instance, the pump and filter is in the basement you would have the same head pressure as if the pump/filter were right next to the tank minus the added plumbing. Of course you want to put your filter as close to the tank as possible to reduce plumbing cost and so on, but being at the same level or below the tank wont effect the pumps performance.

Weird huh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store