My new arowana got his pectoral and pelvic fins ripped by a oscar ,, please everyoe help me on how to treat him,, is he going to die

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
i feel so bad
Take it as learning experience. Everybody here has lost a fish before, heck, I lost a few very expensive fish that my wallet still hates me for, thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter has lots tons of fish, it’s a part of our hobby, with each death comes knowledge and we grow as a person and as a fish keeper and we strive to do better next time to prevent the thing that costed our fish their life again.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I got him for my bday 3 days ago ???????
Sorry for your loss. As stated i think due to the oscars aggression the arowana banged itself against the glass causing it to have a swim bladder injury and damaged fins. The swim bladder injury caused its death, not the damaged pectoral fin

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My sympathies.

In order to learn from this, you have to analyze why the fish perished and do not repeat the same error.

I don't see any obvious or bad damage to the fins you are describing. I don't think it was the direct cause of death. The stress of being harassed by a tank mate could have been it. If it was 3 days of continuous or regular harassment, that plus the stress of transport and acclimation to a new tank could have pushed your arowana over the edge. Stress is one of the top killers, if not the top killer of fish in our hobby.

If it was a blow to the head, which often happens when arowana try to jump to escape a stressful situation, you'd see obvious bang mark and bruised mouth and hear area. If you don't see it, it was most likely just stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store