My new Chinese "Wels"

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
No noticeable growth yet. This guy just fascinates me with the amount of activity. In typical catfish fashion, it eats to the point of possible explosion

Reactions: wednesday13

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Just an observation for anyone keeping one of these guys. I have a difficult time keeping nitrate under control. I've had a surgery that is making it difficult to do maintenance like I should. I noticed his respiration was getting much faster than normal and found nitrates had gotten to 45 PPM. Once I had reduced them to 20 PPM things got right back to normal and he got much more active. Bottom line, they seem to be sensitive to elevated nitrates. I hope this is useful to the few people that are enjoying one of these.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I've ad this ccritter for several months in a 240 with 100 sump of K1 and an Eheim 2262. Just a cuople Dats and SD with him. He has grown to be-13-14 inches i think it was about 8in when I got him. Never a bit of agression that isn't bitesize. Really active fish with lights on bright. I might get a normal color in future to compare..

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Been awhile........ I ended up losing this guy, like most of my fish, due to neglect. That stuff happens when you lose a leg. Got a new small one the other day. Only roommates are a couple big ITs in the 240. Just ate a nice meal!

received_10156127099920992.jpeg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Been awhile........ I ended up losing this guy, like most of my fish, due to neglect. That stuff happens when you lose a leg. Got a new small one the other day. Only roommates are a couple big ITs in the 240. Just ate a nice meal!

View attachment 1288664
Sorry to read of your troubles Rodger.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Agreed sorry to hear, why not try and look for a fish that's hardy enough that you'll enjoy? And maybe lower the stock a little so you can get away with it, especially once they're mature and you don't have to feed very much or often

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Agreed sorry to hear, why not try and look for a fish that's hardy enough that you'll enjoy? And maybe lower the stock a little so you can get away with it, especially once they're mature and you don't have to feed very much or often
Ok. First was killed by another fish. Second was neglect on my part after my leg was amputated. Why do you believe it isn't a hardy fish? All research indicates they are very tough fish.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Ok. First was killed by another fish. Second was neglect on my part after my leg was amputated. Why do you believe it isn't a hardy fish? All research indicates they are very tough fish.
Well personally I haven't looked into the Chinese wels specifically. So I wasn't saying it isn't hardy, but I was merely saying there's fish that can likely withstand the neglect (hardier), so rather than possibly killing fish maybe you can try something like a lungfish or bichir or something that you like that can take missing a few weeks of wc or feedings.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am sorry to hear, Rodger! For those who's never gone through this, like me, it's an unfathomable ordeal and struggle. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

But I am mighty happy you are keeping at it and got another meridionalis. That speaks your spirit remains unbroken.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store