My Plywood Build 250 Gallon

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hi all,

Finally getting to start my build. Only have 2 chores to do before my wife will allow me to start. First is painting the house :WHOA: Second is moving into it :nilly:.....

So My project is 8'x2'x2'

Gonna have a divider 1/2 way for strength and a view break for the fish.

Will have 2 front viewing windows rather than 1 long one, and maybe 2 side windows (undecided)

Internal overflows boxes.

Will have a sump of appx. 72 gallons ( Max Cap) using 4 18 gallon rubbermaid tubs.

Slowly collecting the materials, may build the sump this week (I know horse b4 the cart) but I am tired of talking about it and just want to get started with something.

Any advice from the experts here will be appreciated, will post designs tommorrow of the tank to give you all an idea of what I have in my crazy mind.

Tanks all and look forward to posting my progress..

Bear

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
go bigger. DIY tanks apparently do not become cost effective untill u reach 500g

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Or if you wanna stay with that size, look for new or used 240's. I see them used a lot (a few a month for sale around here) for around $500-$800. Save yourself some time, money and headache.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
Reasons to go DIY even if its not cheaper:

1. You can pay for it a little at a time. Its much easier to save/spend $30 for a piece of plywood than to save $800 for the tank (which almost never includes pumps/filtration/etc)

2. You can customize it and have it whatever shape/configuration you want.

3. You get the satisfaction of having built it yourself

4. You get the fun of building it yourself (well.. for geeks like me its fun)

5. You learn all the lessons for when you build your next monster..

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
kallmond;3667998; said:
Reasons to go DIY even if its not cheaper:

1. You can pay for it a little at a time. Its much easier to save/spend $30 for a piece of plywood than to save $800 for the tank (which almost never includes pumps/filtration/etc)

2. You can customize it and have it whatever shape/configuration you want.

3. You get the satisfaction of having built it yourself

4. You get the fun of building it yourself (well.. for geeks like me its fun)

5. You learn all the lessons for when you build your next monster..
Exactly my reasons, :naughty: Have a couple hook ups around town to get discounts, like marine epoxy cheap.

Figure I will git r done for around 500 complete. I can live with that, and I am getting experience for a 2500 gallon half in ground half above ground pond when my Wife and I buy our house this year. With an add on fish room. Yes I am ambitious (Keeps me young)

May decide to go 6" deeper and make the dimentions 96x30x24 (LxWxH) for about 300+-
Also having the side windows I am figuring I can add on easily :headbang2

Will post plans today

Thanks for the input, All is welcome.

Bear

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
OK here are my designs. Not final but wanted to get some input from those that have done before. This is my project to get the knowledge to build a monster tank

Along the top and left side is the overflow too the sump. There will be a tower on the right side too. Plus all plumbing may all go through the towers.

Bear

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I predict that the overflow box and tower will give you fits with the fiberglass
my reasoning

I have never built a plywood tank, i have had a fair amount of experence repairing wooden boats and working with fiberglass.

about 2years ago i was repairing a 14' wooden boat and I decided to remove the old rotten plywood live well and replace it with a new fiber glass lined live well. The wells dims were 20" x 18" - 16" deep with a hinged lid. It was very difficult to get the fiberglass into such a small space.

the overflow box and tower are going to be a pain

I would recommend using pvc bulk head fittings for your overflow and return

looks like a good project though

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks figured that the over flow boxes could be a pain to make.

, I was also considering a PVC overflow "box" When I have drawings I will post. What do you all think of using 3" or 4" pvc with the drain inside....Hmm having a hard time picturing and it is in my mind :nilly: Will post a pic of that too, moral of the story is to also draw from the bottom of the tank.

2 - 3 weeks til I can start. Chompin at the bit. Good part is that the design should be very solid when I do start.:headbang2

Bear

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store