My Plywood Build 250 Gallon

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, I was also considering a PVC overflow "box" When I have drawings I will post. What do you all think of using 3" or 4" pvc with the drain inside....Hmm having a hard time picturing and it is in my mind :p

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Ok Here are my wild rantings in picture form for my overflow. :nilly:

First Pic is simple the overview of the drain system.

Now Here are the overflow Towers. I am looking to draw from the bottom level of the tank with these. They are 4" PVC around a 1" durso stand pipe with a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank. Ignore the cut out, I got a little happy wanting to show the inside workings

Here is the surface skimmer. It will be made of 2" pvc with slots cut across the top to allow the skimming. I will drill 4" pvc to encase the stand pipe, or I will reduce to 1" at the ends and skip the 4" and just have the stand pipes. My thought on the 4" pvc is to reduce any noise.

Will place a "T" in the middle and add a support brace to keep the skimmer from sagging.

Well there it is. Am I just plain crazy, making it too complicated, or both?

Thanks for all the knowledge I have gained here. Before MFK 55 was enough. That will just be sump size from now on.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
By the way will add some bracing top and bottom to keep the 4" from moving.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Looks interesting.

I'm curious to see how that system would work out.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Muni;3675039; said:
Looks interesting.

I'm curious to see how that system would work out.

Think I am gonna try it in a couple plastic totes, ordering the pump this week so I can do some testing. Hmmmm......

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Chores I am not looking forward to, Tank Heck Yea !!!!!!!!!!!
First purchase......Space Heater, It is colder than a Witches T** in a brass b** for the next couple months.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
is a witch hooter colder than others? I dated a wiccan one time, they seemed pretty warm to me.

How would you balance the flow between the surface skimmer and still keep enough suction on the bottom drains to keep the floor clean of debris? I thought surface skimmers were really only for saltwater tanks?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
john73738;3675122; said:
http://www.liquidrubber.ca/Zavlar.asp

Anyone looked at this. Cant find any info on price and where to purchase.

Theres a big discussion about this on another thread. I guess the stuff worked decent. But further research would be a good idea.

Oh and Zavlar is the Canadian name. It's distributed in the USA under the brand "Permi-dry" I believe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store