My Red Discus - Before & After Carophyll Pink

TonyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
DFW, TX
mshill90,

I respect your point of view, I'm not trying hard to push CP with this thread at all, I'm simply responding to RD and others' posts/comments. I'm OK with letting this thread end here.

"Why do you need to sell this crap, when you can buy the real deal?"
As I've stated before, the real deal does not worked for me. if the real deal worked for your species of fishes, then you really do not need this.

Again this tread is not about the quality of my discus, or about being cheap, I've raised these discus from 2" and if they've turned out "poor" then it's due to my lack of dedication to them. Discus with good genetics, in the hand of hobbyists, with lack of dedication, like myself, would turned into "crap".

If you are into Asian red/yellow discus, good luck with you finding one that have not been fed with CP. And learn the lesson yourselves, as many have found out, after a few months, the color will fade, and the "real deal" would not bring back the color that you've originally brought them. Is it a deception by the importers/exporters? Yes, and I'm not condoning it. Any serious hobbyists would know, and accept the fact, that when buying a full color red/yellow Asian discus, most likely one would not be able to maintain that color or restore that color. I'm offering this product so, if one wants, to bring back the color that they've originally bought them in, now they can.

Am I in this to make a buck?
To be honest, I don't expect much from sale. as I've understood, that what I'm offering is a highly controversial product and is shrouded with negativity. And IMO, these controversy and negativity stemmed from the lack of availability here in the US. Many have never heard of CP or CY, few have heard but never have experience with it. Maybe, like RD said, you don't need to know if it's good or bad. But for me, I'm happy, even if I do not sell anything, I've got a chance to experiment with it. Some may jump on me for doing experiment on fishes but, like someone said, there are many worst thing that hobbyists have done to their fishes.

If you are thinking of trying CP, don't take my word for it, or anyone elses, they all have their agenda, do your own research and draw your own conclusion.

Regards,
Tony

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While I have my reservations about the safety of long term use of large amounts of CP & tropical fish, I hardly think that it's fair that Tony is compared to a cocaine dealer.

If you are into Asian red/yellow discus, good luck with you finding one that have not been fed with CP. And learn the lesson yourselves, as many have found out, after a few months, the color will fade, and the "real deal" would not bring back the color that you've originally brought them.
I've seen scores of discus imported locally that were bred by SE Asian breeders such as Wayne Ng, Jeffrey Yang, etc, and their colors are still as vivid as when they were shipped. Ditto to numerous Stendker discus.
None of these fish have ever been fed CP once arriving in NA.

In all honesty Tony, the discus you posted in your "before" photos look like bottom of the barrel LFS discus.

The discus shown in the photo below were purchased at a LFS, their color remained long term, and got even better over time. With the exception of the Asian aro, all of those fish were fed an exclusive diet of pellets. My friend ran a Hagen Aqua-Glo light on this tank, which did help the colors pop, but none of these fish were fed CP.

Below is a photo that I took at a local breeders , this fish was imported from SE Asia, and raised on the same pellets as the discus shown above.
No CP, and no loss in color. If anything, this fish gained in color as it grew. Just cheap shop lights on this tank, and the photo was taken with an old $150 point & shoot camera.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Yeah, you are right, RD, it was a extreme analogy. My apologies, Tony. That was way off base, lol. Something you said earlier in the thread reminded me of a drug dealer saying basically the same thing, but the two don't compare.

papawoody

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
up in here
www.myspace.com
IMO, this isn't a forum for you.. We love fish, it's what we do.. not the $$[/QUOTE]

thats not fair . just because he happens to sell the stuff doesn't mean he shouldn't be welcome here . its not like he's hard-selling the stuff , he shared something and it sparked a debate . i bet the dude loves fish too .

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
papawoody;4676517; said:
IMO, this isn't a forum for you.. We love fish, it's what we do.. not the $$

thats not fair . just because he happens to sell the stuff doesn't mean he shouldn't be welcome here . its not like he's hard-selling the stuff , he shared something and it sparked a debate . i bet the dude loves fish too .

Everyone knows that if you're committed in the hobby that you will do what you can for the fish..

He CAN buy things to make his fish's color come out NATURALLY- yet, he chooses to use chemicals to alter them. That IMO is not something you do for the love of fish.

I have Koi... their color comes and goes- and they stage constantly.. I spent $400 on a Japanese Import that was show quality. He's staged.. and is no longer show quality because of that... does that mean I am going to paint him so that he can be better looking? (and no, I am not saying you need to spend tons of $$ on a nice fish) No. It's simply a chance you take with every hobby you get into.. dogs, cats, fish, art..

He's got the opportunity to buy even half decent discus, and yet he refuses to, and then claims it's his "lack of dedication" to the hobby... Lack of dedication no longer makes it a hobby, and more of an obligation.

I would NEVER experiment with chemicals to alter the appearance of my fish, or any of my pets... it's just absurd.

Feeding a good diet WILL get the same results, and it's PROBABLY safer! Imagine that!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I was back at the same local breeders a few weeks back, and brought a buddy of mine who owns a real camera.

No carophyll pink involved, 100% pellet raised fish. :)

TonyN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
DFW, TX
Hi RD,
Nice Stendker's FireRed! I've never said you can't have nice discus with pellet food. It's all personal preference, I like these (no special lighting or real camera required)

TonyN

I'll would use pellet and natural stuff if it can get my fish this color

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store