My S.Manueli

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
No I don’t have them. When I get the manueli in the 180 I’ll have an empty 65 for the convicts . Once they start breeding I’d use the offspring as a food source for my manueli. He’s currently on a diet of mainly talapia soaked in vitchem with the odd piece of shrimp thrown into the mix. I recently had a few tetras in his tank, he picked them off one by one over a few days. it seemed like his colour popped and having live food in his tank he was much more active. Noticing that now has me thinking about breeding a food source for him. I don’t necessarily care about feeding live but if it has benefits for him why not. I would continue to feed talapia/shrimp with a couple convicts a month. I wonder if anybody has tried this and noticed and difference when adding a live food source plus filets/shrimp vs frozen filets.
My red seemed to grow a bit and be generally happier after a kill. Could be a relation.

Reactions: dr exum

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
It’s been one week in his new tank. He’s been pretty skittish but slowly coming out of his shell. Kind of expected, the light in the 65 gal he was housed in was not nearly as bright. The location of the 180 is more central and we’re walking by it more often. He didn’t eat until yesterday but it doesn’t seem like he’s taken out any of the cardinals. It does seem like he wants a piece of Mila though.

7DC29D6B-5293-440F-9C27-09CD4A5C3D9F.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It’s been one week in his new tank. He’s been pretty skittish but slowly coming out of his shell. Kind of expected, the light in the 65 gal he was housed in was not nearly as bright. The location of the 180 is more central and we’re walking by it more often. He didn’t eat until yesterday but it doesn’t seem like he’s taken out any of the cardinals. It does seem like he wants a piece of Mila though.

View attachment 1446772
Looking good and will be glass banging soon. Nice looking Bully.

Reactions: Scruffy4

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
Looking good and will be glass banging soon. Nice looking Bully.
thanks, I know it takes a lot of patience with these guys (both the dog and fish). I really hope he gets back to the way he was in the 65, he used every inch of that tank. I’ve read stories of people changing set ups and the fish not coming back out of its shell or it taking a really long time. Either way I’m waiting it out. I’m in this for the long run, I really hope to get this guy to a 10”+ monster lol.

A&A

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2020
thanks, I know it takes a lot of patience with these guys (both the dog and fish). I really hope he gets back to the way he was in the 65, he used every inch of that tank. I’ve read stories of people changing set ups and the fish not coming back out of its shell or it taking a really long time. Either way I’m waiting it out. I’m in this for the long run, I really hope to get this guy to a 10”+ monster lol.
By no means an expert, but have you considered throwing 10-20 small tetras in there? Obviously after quarantine being a Manny is such an expensive fish. Dont know if they would last very long but they may help to bring him out of his shell and signal that everything is OK.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
By no means an expert, but have you considered throwing 10-20 small tetras in there? Obviously after quarantine being a Manny is such an expensive fish. Dont know if they would last very long but they may help to bring him out of his shell and signal that everything is OK.
Not a bad idea. If you have some sort of breeding cichlid or livebearers the fry could work. Seeing some dither activity would probably help the piranha to feel that the new territory is a safe one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you decide to add the Tetras I suggest quarantine them for a month or longer. I personally would do the quarantine without hesitation because as you stated expensive Manny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store