My South American Aquariums

Manish Kolge

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
the first
Hi,

I use this forum a lot for information and research but have not been active in actual interactions.
I recently felt the urge to document the fresh re-scapes of my aquariums.

Fish of note - 800 gallon: Crenicichla sp. Atabapo I, Geophagus Hybrid (Sveni x sp. Gurupi) G. Sveni, G. Winemilleri, red tiger severum, wild scalare angels "Rio Nanay", L025
Fish of note - custom 5 foot long (grow-out): Crenicichla compressiceps, Ivanacara Adoketa, Geophagus Brokopondo, G. sp. Pindare, G. Altifrons "Xingu", Retroculus Lapidifer. Apistogramma Agassizii, A. Panduro, A. Eunotus

800 Gallon (re-scaped July 2019):
View attachment 1404033

Custom 5foot long (grow-out):

I would like to say, don't worry about the pikes, they are not yet mature and are not so chaotic yet; I have two cycled and ready aquariums to take in misbehaving pikes

Also, my Atabapo I pikes:
While they resemble an immature Atabapo I, they have a tear under their eyes, duller colors, black edges along fins, stripes while firing up, and they were also sold as Atabapo II.

Goggy
The first photo is super Amazing..

Reactions: Goggy and tlindsey

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
I set up some new Central American tanks, two 100 gallon aquariums on a two-tank rack

100 gallon stream tank:
- Theraps Irregularis, Rainbow Cichlids, Neetroplus Nematopus, swordtails
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

100 gallon pair of Vieja Melanura and their fry:

The irregulare and the vieja were both from Dan Sharifi of COTA. The cichlids traveled a long way to get to Bangkok, and I hope to be able to continue breeding his fish here, especially since this is the first time theraps irregularis has been brought to Thailand.

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
My new 240 gallon (8ft x 2ft x2ft) two-tank rack:FE03856E-5170-4D74-B503-9A07E6E021B2.jpeg
65FD3895-88E9-4A1E-9915-D6D097914255.jpeg

I moved my pair of atabapo 1 pikes here from the 800 gallon display and I am dedicating both of these tanks to breeding crenicichla of the lugubris group. I am very committed to spawning them and will be trying everything that I can think of. Right now I’m feeding them lots of fresh food similar to how Wayne Leibel fed his marmorata feeder goldfish for a month straight.

Top tank is a pair of Atabapo 1 (sp. Atabapo red), bottom tank is waiting for a pair of Tapajos 2 (sp. cobra) that are currently in Singapore, otw to Bangkok.

4FAFC433-03B8-426E-BC6A-7F771CACD5B5.jpeg
74DF1879-8696-48AC-9D99-FBDEA69BF290.jpeg

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I love the 240 gallon ''rack''. Do you have issues with algae growth keeping those big tanks outside? (BTW you are fortunate to be able to keep those tanks outside)

Reactions: Goggy

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I too love the 240 rack. Super sweet.
With the lower tank it may be a little difficult to vacuum the bottom, but it is somethng easily solved.
Absolutely great setups and beautiful, healthy fish.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with those highly anticipated Crenicichla babies!

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
I love the 240 gallon ''rack''. Do you have issues with algae growth keeping those big tanks outside? (BTW you are fortunate to be able to keep those tanks outside)
Yeah it’s nice being a hobbyist that keeps tropical fish in Thailand, I’m able to maintain many aquariums without heaters, but need to buy chillers if I want to maintain planted tanks.

I don’t have a problem with algae as I have a tarp covering my aquariums set in such a way that exposes the tanks to natural light for only certain hours of the day

I too love the 240 rack. Super sweet.
With the lower tank it may be a little difficult to vacuum the bottom, but it is somethng easily solved.
Absolutely great setups and beautiful, healthy fish.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with those highly anticipated Crenicichla babies!
Thanks, next I’m going to be dumping in 200 catappa leaves into the aquarium to crash the ph, I’m hoping it can go down to 5, the rainwater I’m doing water changes with has a ph of 6.4.

I’m glad I’m in a country with a rainy season- a time of year with many opportunities for spawning triggers!

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
love the look. I i hope to get my tank looking half as sharp as that.

My only question is do you ever have to pull apart your rocks in order to clean? How do you keep detritus from accumulating in the nooks and crannies?

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
love the look. I i hope to get my tank looking half as sharp as that.

My only question is do you ever have to pull apart your rocks in order to clean? How do you keep detritus from accumulating in the nooks and crannies?
Yeah, I just vacuum around the rocks in the nooks and crannies. I don't usually find detritus getting directly underneath my rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store