My tank is failing . . .

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I dropped it 6” from the top.

They cheated on the dimensions. The tank depth is 1/2” shorter than advertised.

They took it all off the back AFAICT, leading to the wobbly rim. The back rim is less than 1” wide.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
This is lame...they should warranty that tank and make you a new one for free. Can’t believe they are charging you to replace it. Especially since you’re requesting glass, which is cheaper material. This would piss me off. You are extremely understanding and patient

Reactions: twentyleagues

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The manufacturer is trying to blame their dealer (the LFS who ordered the first one for me.)
They say he approved the thickness.
He says they didn't ask him.

But this was a custom size, & they can't expect a fishseller to engineer it.
So I asked them, "Who will design the replacement tank? The LFS or an engineer?"
And . . . no answer yet. Maybe Monday.

I will probably order a tank from someone else, and it will be glass. Plastic is just too expensive.
I will send $400 to someone else, rather than $200 to someone who has proven incapable.

UNLESS, They admit their mistake and apologize for my anxiety, and renegotiate in good faith.
I am not going to shame the other parties in public while there is a chance they will cooperate.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The manufacturer is trying to blame their dealer (the LFS who ordered the first one for me.)
They say he approved the thickness.
He says they didn't ask him.

But this was a custom size, & they can't expect a fishseller to engineer it.
So I asked them, "Who will design the replacement tank? The LFS or an engineer?"
And . . . no answer yet. Maybe Monday.

I will probably order a tank from someone else, and it will be glass. Plastic is just too expensive.
I will send $400 to someone else, rather than $200 to someone who has proven incapable.

UNLESS, They admit their mistake and apologize for my anxiety, and renegotiate in good faith.
I am not going to shame the other parties in public while there is a chance they will cooperate.
The response from the manufacturer is comical but I know nothing to laugh about. The LFS didn't tell me they wanted a well made tank with appropriate materials for the project. I didnt think I should let them know of warping if we go too thin based on the tank spec.

I don't think an "engineer" is making any if these tanks. But what you need is a professional and true craftman with hands on experience. I know and work with many engineers that I wouldn't want building any tank.

I know they have built many glass tanks for you, but if it were me I'd pass this time around. But every situation I now is different and I'm only going on what Im reading in the thread.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I did see a couple of the "larger" companies doing a tank roughly the size of yours in 3/8. I also saw the same amount doing it in 1/2. I still say 3/8 is to thin for the depth.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
It looks like the tank is starting to recover its shape a little, but the seams are not improved of course.

I spoke to the LFS at length about this and he wasn't happy the builder tried to finger him for the crime.

I might throw some starving young SoCal lawyer $1000 just to harass the manufacturer. The $900 I have already spent means a lot, but maybe it means less to me than being abused.

Then again, if the business is languishing, they've got little to lose or fear.
While if they've got assets to protect, that's an issue in my favor.

Reactions: Jacob92677

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Update and bump:

I let this languish through the covid business, as well as some other issues at home demanding my attention. I never did mention the builder of the aquarium, as I was giving them every chance for a reasonable resolution.

I thought an apology, a new tank made correctly and to size, free delivery and haul off of the old tank, plus something extra for my distress would be quite reasonable. I coulda been a happy camper, Lauding their ways.

But they thought a discount on a new replacement tank from them was reasonable enough if I paid the tax. Well, Screw that!

It was Clear for Life.

And it's still quite clear. I'd just be happier if all the seams didn't look like a total failure and the top wasn't all warped and sagging. The manufacturer couldn't admit they screwed the pooch on this tank, and I sort of figured that I'd have more fun ranting on them for their inability to do right than fighting with them in any court room. I would not cross the Grapevine nowadays anyhow.

• Angry
Reactions: Niki_up

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
I just had all the same issues on my 110 Clear for Life Tank.... I couldnt believe how thin the acrylic was. The bow was so unsightly and unnerving I never even put fish or hardscape in it. Even after reaching out for reassurance its was still a worry some tank for inside use.

One test fill from me and it was on to the next buyer. Large garage grow out tank which he had 2 of already.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
With the reduction in water pressure I feel a lot more comfortable about this tank.
View attachment 1413366
What's crazy is that you're back where you started in terms of water volume! Glasscages will make tall acrylic tanks (I started an order with them) and the suckers are thick as hell...a 55 tall tank is 3/4" acrylic. If you notice thinner walled acrylic tanks have a certain footprint width before they go taller and those are from 1/2 to 3/4. Standard acrylic tank sizes don't really have "tall" tanks below 55 gallons because the footprint isn't wide enough to support the height without insane bowing. You'd have to sacrifice internal space and gallons to compensate with thicker walls. I'm always calculating the real gallons versus fantasy gallons.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
What's crazy is that you're back where you started in terms of water volume! . . .
Yeah, it's making me crazy too. And Felix isn't happy.
If it wasn't for the virus biz I'd have this replaced months ago.

Knowing what I know now, I am going to do some things differently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store