My tapeworm...or is is a flat, segmented worm of another class?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I remember playing with 2 large earthworms measuring at least 24-28 inches before I released them in my garden.:D

moonstruckmuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2007
NJ
Hehe, I really like worms - good for you for being curious (even with the potential of danger, hah).
I'd agree that it looks nothing like an annelid - the first photo you can see the digestive tract so clearly - ribbing would have shown up then. The floppiness of the worm also indicates otherwise - oligochaetes have a nice turgid pressure to them, thanks to the hydrostatic skeleton.

If it has survived so well, I think it's safe to assume that it is not parasitic.
This should be an easy way to tell - does its digestive system appear to run all the way down its body, or is it sorta just a cavity? By which I mean, look up Planaria and their feeding behavior (they use a pharynx, which looks eerily like a penis). If it has a pharynx, it is most likely of the Class Turbellaria (non-parasitic, predatory flatworms). If not.... then you have a number of choices. Haha.

ReelBigFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
In a house
Yea man that is definitely NOT a tapeworm.

My guess is either a leech of some sort or a freshwater oligochaete, but you need high quality pictures for anyone to ID it

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
ReelBigFish;4571655; said:
Yea man that is definitely NOT a tapeworm.
You came to that conclusion based on ... ?

ReelBigFish;4571655; said:
My guess is either a leech of some sort or a freshwater oligochaete, but you need high quality pictures for anyone to ID it
We've fairly positively established that it is a flat segmented worm. The flat part effectively rules out both Leeches, and Earthworms; neither of which are flat.

Pretty much we've agreed that it's a flatworm of some sort. The fact that it was found in a PBass tank after they administered a dewormer indicates it is likely a tapeworm of some sort. The most likely tapeworm to be found in fish is Diphyllobothrium Latum.

Anyway, Knifegill, got any updates on this monster? Is it still alive? :grinno:

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I saw him a couple of days ago kicking around on the hornwort.

ReelBigFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
In a house
Dark Jester;4571754; said:
You came to that conclusion based on ... ?

We've fairly positively established that it is a flat segmented worm. The flat part effectively rules out both Leeches, and Earthworms; neither of which are flat.

Pretty much we've agreed that it's a flatworm of some sort. The fact that it was found in a PBass tank after they administered a dewormer indicates it is likely a tapeworm of some sort. The most likely tapeworm to be found in fish is Diphyllobothrium Latum.

Anyway, Knifegill, got any updates on this monster? Is it still alive? :grinno:
I didn't realize this worm popped out of a Pbass....guess I should've read over this thread more carefully.

*smashes head onto keyboard*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store