My Tiger Fish.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Did you have any issues moving it from the grow out to this tank? I have heard they don’t travel well around 1’ ?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
That’s cool. I’m growing increasingly more curious about them. This thread has taken away some of my fears of owning one some day.

it looks to me as if it does fine in com setting? Any altercations that are typical with vatf? I know payara like to harpoon eyes ?.

do you have to feed super heavy to keep the aggression levels down in this tank?

Mister-Blister

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
That’s cool. I’m growing increasingly more curious about them. This thread has taken away some of my fears of owning one some day.

it looks to me as if it does fine in com setting? Any altercations that are typical with vatf? I know payara like to harpoon eyes ?.

do you have to feed super heavy to keep the aggression levels down in this tank?
there is not much to fear around tigers, they are territorial but there are fisher far worse than them around.

what might be of concern is the fact they are known to die in captivity for no reason. could it be because they are used to living in powerful and turbulent waters and tanks just do not suit them? it is kinda hard to tell

Reactions: sunnysjourney

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US

I agree with everything M Mister-Blister has said. They really just look ferocious but they don’t attack other fish usually. My guy tends to chase the silver dollars around and will definitely chase any other fish that looks like him. So some examples would be: tarpons, masheers, barbs and of course payaras. And their aggression is dependent on the specie too. Believe it or not in my experience, GATFs have been the most timid lol. FATFs (the smallest growing ones) have been the most aggressive. The one thing you gotta be careful about is that they grow slower than most South American fish we keep so you’ll have to plan ahead to have them in a community setting.

Mister-Blister

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
I agree with everything M Mister-Blister has said. They really just look ferocious but they don’t attack other fish usually. My guy tends to chase the silver dollars around and will definitely chase any other fish that looks like him. So some examples would be: tarpons, masheers, barbs and of course payaras. And their aggression is dependent on the specie too. Believe it or not in my experience, GATFs have been the most timid lol. FATFs (the smallest growing ones) have been the most aggressive. The one thing you gotta be careful about is that they grow slower than most South American fish we keep so you’ll have to plan ahead to have them in a community setting.
also big difference has to be made between territorial aggression and predatory response.

dovii, mangrove jack, dorado, etc. are prone to being aggressive with no intent of eating their victim

while hoplias, hydrocynus and even channa mostly attack because they want to eat something

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store