My walleyes died....I'm so freakin mad.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
You guys just don't know how piss I am right now so I got to let out some steam for a bit. I got 3 LMB, 3 bullheads, and 2 walleyes, the walleyes are by far my favorite ones. This freakin sucks that they died because I always wanted to see them grow up. Here's the story, read it and see if you guys know what happen and can help me out.

All my fish just seems less active and shy then when they were at the LFS so my brother suggested to me to warm up my water temp just a bit. It's usually at 60-65 degrees, which the LFS said try to keep the water as cold as possible. I know for sure that walleyes like colder water than bass, that's for sure. So I did a 30% water change, added some bio safe products for the new water. I didn't measure it, just poured some it, I don't think it's much harm cause I didn't put too much. Also this isn't the first time I did a water change so cant' see what was different this time. Well I used a heater and after one night the water temp was like 72 degrees. Next day fish was doing fine, then just tonight when I came home water temp was at 79 degrees and the two walleyes were dead. :cry: :cry: :cry:

The other fish are still alive but I can tell they are not acting the same. Well first of all after I did the water change I notice the fish breathing hard and fast, like as if they were chewing on something. I thought it was normal because they were just scared because I did a vaccumm and water change. Well when I saw the dead walleye their gills were flared out. Then I look at the bass and they were still breathing fast and heavily.

So why do you guys think my walleyes died???
Is it from the water temp being 62 degrees to 79 degrees in one day?
Do you think it was the water change I did, and something did not go right?

Anyone that has answers help me out because I'm stunned, and now I afraid my LMB will go too. BTW I'm freakin pissed right now, there goes $40 bucks.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
Sounds like there was a lack of oxygen in the tank? 62° to 79° in one day is a severe up in the temp for any cold water species of fish to handle.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
So what should I do, put some cold water in ASAP. See if you can post back soon cause MY LMB arent' doing so well too right now.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
Wouldn't dropping the water temp that fast be rough on the fish???

And also what does "aerated" mean, sorry for my stupidity.

Well I will put some ICE in ASAP.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
I would set the heater temp to around 68°F and let it cool down naturally. Is there an air pump on this tank? Many cold water species need oxygen rich water to survive.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Gamefishin said:
Wouldn't dropping the water temp that fast be rough on the fish???

And also what does "aerated" mean, sorry for my stupidity.

Well I will put some ICE in ASAP.

well not really, it like when a tropical fishes tan kget too hot, you throw in the ice to lower it, its more of a relieve that a shocker, as least thats how it seems.

the opposite may be true for cold water fish in warm water.

when i say aeration i mean use and air pump/stone, or a powerhead

basically it means get that water moving and the surface aggitated to allow oxygen to diffuse in to the water and heat to disapate out.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
Of course just my luck......I let my cousin borrow my useless Penguin sponge filter that shoots water out, which creates currents=oxygen. Well I thought it was useless but now I need it... :swear:

Water is already down to 75 degrees and more ICE is coming.

One thing I notice about the dead walleye is their eyes looked like it was about to pop out and was extremely large. My LMB also seems like their eyes are a lot bigger and slightly red. Any ideas why this is.

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
Could be the change in water temperature messing with the fishes body regulation. Fish always take in and put out water, sometimes if something screws them out, they take it in quicker than they put it out. But honestly whith that big of a water temp change, it could of been anything dude. For the air I would go buy a regular air pump and a small battery operated one. The regular one id use now, and you will be loving the battery operated one if you ever have a power outage.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
Ok so it's morning and water temp is now at 70 degrees and fish seems to be doing a lot better. I think they'll make it now but that's too bad my walleyes had to be the cost of learning something, which is don't trust that stupid heater.

I mean supposely after a few hours your water temp should be set where you adjust the heater to. It was already overnight and half day and the water was steady at 72 degrees then all of a sudden when I came home last night it soared to 79 degrees. That's tropical fish's water temps right? Also now I'm just going to leave the water temp they way it is, even if it's only around 60-65 degrees. I know the fish will be ok with water temp like that but I just thought maybe they'll act differently with water a little bit higher. I guess the walleyes are not as hardy as the basses are and are fragile fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store