My zoo update

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Update:

The paint they applied came off again. Not sure why they thought this time it would work. Didn't work last time, and they didn't change the way they did it. Next week, I have to dump the exhibits again, sand blast and repaint (second time for those keeping track). After abot three weeks, they did get the ozone fixed. Temps peaked out on us at close to 100F in the water a few weeks ago. I tried to warn them a head of time, but they wouldn't pay for the chiller. All the fish made it - and of course they're now going to put in a chiller.
I would have put them all in holding until it was fixed, but they didn't ever let me build the large holding they promised.

I think they're starting to see that large fish exhibits aren't something you take lightly. They acted like all you needed was a big puddle of water. Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way. They have started to interview people for my replacement. We'll see who comes on. I hope it works out for them.

All in all - animals are fat and happy. Exhibit doesn't look the greatest, but I'm making sure everything gets what it needs. The pacu school is eating between 7 and 8 lbs of food a day! Motoro pups are growing like weeds - the first batch are all over 7" across now.

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Great display tank!!:cool-1: i wish i had this in my backyard it's just sad to see no A. Gigas in a A. Gigas tank.....:cry: I want a school of Gigas one of these days..(Ahh...sigh) I want to mix them with my tiger Rtc hybrids and my Regular Tsn also my Rtc. (i wonder, any one knows which grows faster? the A.gigas or the RTC?)

I guess the moral of this story, Is to have the display up and running before putting in a A. gigas before hand. But i guess It can't be help... It's like having a picture of somthing special on the wall as a simple reminder of your dream.

It' like having a Big fish like, the A. Gigas to inspire people like you and others with your imaginenation keep going and doing(never stop trying, never give up.) Which was of corse your blue print to begin with in the first place.:grinno: to show to people with different Itenaire.

Aslo good luck with your displays in the future! my wishes wish will go out for you.:D

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
i wish we got A. Gigas or RTC tank at our Zoo all our main exhibits cosist of 3ft austrilain lung fish (they just sit around and do.. Nothing!) all the water dump remindse me to do my water changes on my tanks.(lol!)

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
This thread has me hypnotized! I have been sucked into the whole thing, please keep updating whenever you have any spare time(you probably don't have much!) Good luck with everything, I really wish there were more public freshwater aquariums around here, until then I can at least come to MFK!

UnderwaterGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wow Matt, I just read this and I am impressed. I knew you were talented, but i didn't realize that you were that good...not that you need a bigger head. I am glad that I have you teaching me and I feel like I should be paying you for all the knowledge you have been giving me. Now I know why you constantly complain about Como.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
And then you probably also know get why I'm SOOOO much happier working at UWA.

Nov 17th, we all need to go see Como's new exhibit opening. Then Nov 18th, we should go over with nets and help them pull out dead bodies. I'm going to swing by today on my way in and see if it even has water in it yet.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
WOW!!! A lot has happened since the last time I was on this tread. Almost a year in the making! Sounds like you had your fair share of ups and downs. How the project coming along now? When is it schedule to open?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store