Mysterious deaths among fish?

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
Hi I have a 30 gallon fresh water with around 27 varied tetras 6 kuhli loaches, a small Pleco and 3 guppies. In the last three days a fish has died mysteriously, the first day one of my emperor tetras died and I decided (not knowing what happened) to dose the tank with mela fix and Pima fix. The second day a guppy died, so I removed and it seemed to have fungus infection but wasn’t really sure, I continued to does with Pima and mela. Today I have had a black phantom tetra die and couldn’t see any symptoms on her so I’ve dosed tank again as it recommends a seven day dose period. Really confused and would appreciate some help. Water parameters are all correct and I’ve been checking every day since the deaths started and there hasn’t been any change.

Cyanopica

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Texas
How often are you feeding? How often are you doing water changes? Are all of them acting normal?

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
How often are you feeding? How often are you doing water changes? Are all of them acting normal?
All the fish were acting normal before death apart from the platy who was struggling to swim, I feed fish flakes in the morning once a day and then feed a novo tab in the evening once a day, alternating between the protein ones and veggie ones every day. I do a water change every Saturday and that’s around 30% and then like to add 5 ml of bio enhancer (obviously add the correct amount of water conditioner aswell)

Cyanopica

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Texas
hmm, It really is mysterious!

I personally wouldn't recommend continuing to dose Pima/Mela if you're not seeing symptoms. All medications are at least somewhat stressful on the fish, and if you're not seeing any clear symptoms then you could be treating them needlessly. Which carries its own set of problems.

Beyond that, hopefully someone else might have an idea?

Reactions: Davidiator

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
How long has the tank been set up? When was the last time you tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? What were the readings?
Tanks been set up for around a year but I added new fish two weeks ago, ammonia is pretty much 0 and on my test kit the nitrates and nitrites readings were ok, it really has just baffled me?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Ahhh.

So do you mean that you had:

1) a tank set up with no fish that you just added fish to?
2) a tank set up with a few fish that you added a lot of fish to?
3) a tank set up with a lot of fish that you added a few fish to?

And when you say the nitrite and nitrates were okay, what were the readings?

Also which fish died? Old ones or new ones?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
All the fish were acting normal before death apart from the platy who was struggling to swim, I feed fish flakes in the morning once a day and then feed a novo tab in the evening once a day, alternating between the protein ones and veggie ones every day. I do a water change every Saturday and that’s around 30% and then like to add 5 ml of bio enhancer (obviously add the correct amount of water conditioner aswell)
What are your water test results?

Only feeding a single novo tab in the evening? Doesn't sound like enough for your bottom feeders.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Tanks been set up for around a year but I added new fish two weeks ago, ammonia is pretty much 0 and on my test kit the nitrates and nitrites readings were ok, it really has just baffled me?
That is a very vague answer to a very important question. Ammonia only "pretty much 0", it's either 0 or you have a reading, which is it? "Nitrates and nitrite readings were ok", you shouldn't have a nitrite reading, have you got a nitrite reading or is it 0? "Added new fish two weeks ago", how many?

Reactions: Davidiator

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
Ahhh.

So do you mean that you had:

1) a tank set up with no fish that you just added fish to?
2) a tank set up with a few fish that you added a lot of fish to?
3) a tank set up with a lot of fish that you added a few fish to?

And when you say the nitrite and nitrates were okay, what were the readings?

Also which fish died? Old ones or new ones?
I added around 15 tetras to my tank that already had a lot of fish in it and my nitrates are sitting at 15-20 (ppm) my nitrites are sitting at 0 and ammonia is sitting at 0

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store