Mysterious deaths to only one species

IronSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
Elk Grove, California
Tank has been restarted and everything thriving again. Just wanted to end with a happy note.

New group of Zebrina pike, G. pellegrini, tapajos, Satanoperca jurupari (?), severums, chocolate cichlid, uarus, and L014. Only the watermelon and titanic plecos were the lone survivors from the wipeout. Excuse the water stained front but the gang was together posing in a rare moment. I decided to go overkill to oxygenate and create some current for the plecos until I can figure out what to do to prevent some dead spots in the tank without all the aeration in the back and corners.

CAD36B94-3DEB-4DD3-A457-11BFFBEE43A7.jpeg8309CCF6-11B0-4AA4-897B-123E73F6EBFF.jpeg6E760693-A2EB-45FC-A1CD-CDC12FCB0693.jpeg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Only just come across this thread due to you resurrecting it. Very very sad that you lost your fish. Glad that things are looking up.

One thing I will add. I have a 180g com tank with loads of relatively small fish. I try and do a crude head count every now and again just to be sure that no one's missing. But even if a fish did die out of sight, because if their size, I doubt i'd get any notable spikes so parameters would remain pretty stable.

However, in my 360g tank I have 10 big fish and if one of them died and I didn't notice then it wouldn't be long before i'd be in your shoes. Due to this my 360g tank gets a head count every morning without fail.

I'm assuming you've started doing this now to prevent a recurrence?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store