Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Mysterious white growth

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Yellacat, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Judyok

Judyok MFK Members

Today at 12:01 AM
      The reason I mention the combo of kanaplex and furan is that it was recommended mulitple times and several sites for bacterial lesions that won't clear up. If your fish doesn't respond to kanaplex alone the combo is a viable alternative. I've used it for a stubborn case of columnaris and it did indeed clear up the infection.

Yellacat likes this.
    2. Judyok

Judyok MFK Members

Today at 12:01 AM
      The reason I mention the combo of kanaplex and furan is that it was recommended mulitple times and several sites for bacterial lesions that won't clear up. If your fish doesn't respond to kanaplex alone the combo is a viable alternative. I've used it for a stubborn case of columnaris and it did indeed clear up the infection.

3. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      Yesterday at 11:34 AM
      I think the kanaplex might be working! It's hard to see all the fish because they like to hide but from the fish I can see it doesn't seem to be spreading or getting worse like it was yesterday.

Still too early to tell for sure but I definitely have my fingers crossed.... I have stress coat on order so hopefully that'll help them heal if the kanaplex is really working.

4. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      Alright, just a little update. I dosed the second dose of the kanaplex and I definitely think they are looking better. There seems to be less fish with white spots and the fish that do have white on them the white seems to be be going away.

I did notice on one or two fish there are larger patches of white (about the size of a dime) so I'm hoping it's not columnaris. Still debating if I should just do the furan just to be safe.

tarheel96 likes this.
    5. tarheel96

tarheel96 MFK Members

Mike
      Yesterday at 5:09 PM
      The size of a dime is pretty large. Based on that info I'd add the Furan 2 to the Kanaplex.

How is ammonia looking? It can climb pretty quickly without bio filtration. I forget what the Seachem and API directions say but before adding the next doses I'd do large water changes. Get rid of that ammonia. Just don't do larger water changes than your fish are used to receiving.

tlindsey likes this.
    6. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      Ammonia was at .5 yesterday. I did about a 30 percent water change and added prime to neutralize the ammonia.

7. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1837.JPG Alright well bad news. I had my first death today, actually 3. The kanaplex seemed the most effective but once the treatment was done it seems like it began to spread again.

Now there's probably 20 with large white patches that I can see.

I got more kanaplex on order and I'm also gonna try sulfaplex. Any advice???!!!!

8. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      I have tilapia in this tank also and they seem to be unaffected by whatever this is. Don't know if that helps?

9. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      Been adding salt and stress coat. Also been keeping the water as clean as possible, partial water changes daily after meds were done

10. Yellacat

Yellacat MFK Members

Kal
      Also the white patches are very slimey and the scales are completely gone