Mysterious white growth

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
I'll double check the hardness today. Yes there is still the spots on the fins. The large white patches on the body don't really seem fuzzy, hard to explain. Like mentioned before where the white spots are the scales are missing, it's also very slimey, and the slime has a very distinct odor to it.

It's 3am right now so I'll get back with you later today when I actually look at the fish

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
What would be the reason to lower aeration? Bacteria thrive in high oxygen or what? Just curious

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1841.JPG Alright I tested the water and it's around 8.2

Had about 10 dead this morning, did another water change and I got the kanaplex in today so I started it again.

A lot of fish still look unaffected but the ones that do have the patches I doubt will survive. Hopefully I can save the ones that still look healthy.

The sulfaplex should be in tomorrow, so hopefully the kana will atleast halt the progression of whatever this is. I can't control water temp because this is an outdoor tank and it's 100f here in Texas. Water feels cool tho, probably high 70s, I forgot to look at the thermometer when I was out there.

IMG_1838.JPG

Reactions: tarheel96

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
There are instructions for injecting fish with kanamycin in case you're interested. I think injections are very effective for serious infections like this and if some fish are in bad shape you might want to consider it. Also, you'd only use a tiny fraction of medication it would take to dose 300 gallons, but you'd have to be very careful about getting the dose right because it's so small.

"Inject 20 mg kanamycin sulfate/kg (= 9 mg/lb) of body weight IP every 3 days for 14 days."
Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment by Eward J. Noga

The book goes on to say that 10mg has been toxic in some cases so I'd be careul not to overdose and err on the low side.

Kanaplex is 65% kanamycin sulfate and the rest is (I believe) potassium sulfate, so you'd need to adjust the dose if you wanted to use the dose suggested in the book.

The measuring spoon is supposed weigh out 180mg. If 180mg of kanaplex is mixed into 1/4 cup (59ml) filled with water, each 1ml or cc drawn into a syringe will deliver a 3mg dose of kanaplex (180 ÷ 59). If 180mg mixed into 3/4 cup (177ml) then each 1ml will deliver a 1mg dose (180 ÷ 177).

The book calls for the injection to be IP (intraperitoneal) but apparently there's some debate about how much it actually matters if the injection is IP or intramuscular.

Here's one site with information on injecting fish. I also viewed a video of this sites author demonstrating IP injection on YouTube which you should take a look at if you plan on doing this.
http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/injections.htm

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
Day 3 of the sulfa and kana and I haven't had a death in 2 days. Hopefully that's a good sign. A majority of the fish are free from disease, id say probably 90%, there are however still maybe about 10 fish with white on them.

Hopefully I saved them, I guess time will tell

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store