N. American Flathead Catfish

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
Their mouths are larger than that of a RTC (although they dont get as heavy as RTCs).

I speak from personal experince I had the chance to catch a few in appalache river in northern florida. Guess what we used for bait? Three pound bullheads we just cut off a few of their barbels and cast them out. The flatheads we caught were just around 24" to 30" (small) and they sucked down the bullheads like candy. Channel catfish and white catfish are also used as bait. Pretty much anything that swims has been used as bait. I kid you not, one guy told me he used a 12" bowfin as bait and caught a 34" flathead.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
thats like the native redtail

tyson

Stingray Master
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Tropical Island
arowanaclub.com
THANKS FOR THE PIC....

LOOKS VERY MUCH LIKE RTC INDEED.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
cenecker said:
whats it matter which one is heaviest? I was refering to nastiness.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as far as I'm concerned - Flatheads are the meanest things in the water in N. American, except for alligators mabye.

You do know flatheads are not aggressive, right?

The most aggressive NA fish has to be a breeding sunfish. I have snorkeled with every sp of panfish durring the breeding season. and hands down, the sunfish owns all.

I have caught a 18 inch male bass with my hands while he was gaurding his nest. He was calm and let me grab him. The sunfish on the other hand, came after me. They will attack me if i get close to their nest. Their color is extremely nice too. you can see the shimmering freckles from the surface.

AmazonPredator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
The alligator gar is the king of the US waterways...hands down. I would like to have a baby flathead, though. That story about the breeding bluegill is intruiging. I have some bluegill that I'd like to breed someday...maybe I'll throw my cat in there and watch it die.

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
Yep its true. All of the sunfish species(except for bass) get crazy when guarding their nest. They attack anything that gets to close.

mrsrobertson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Rhode Island
Sounds like some true fish stories :hitting:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store