Need gray bichir expert help

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
1.) Can I keep comet goldfish and gray bichir together worried about the oil some goldfish produce

2.) If they can't go together how do I get the oil out of the tank before I add the grey bichir

3.) I want to set up a gray bichir tank with central American cichlids as tank mates if the goldfish can stay will he be ok with the cichlids

4.) I'm planning on 1 of the tank mates to be a geophagus I have a sand 72gal will he sift enough sand to keep the gas pockets from forming or should I also add a burrowing type of snail

5.) If I need snails what kind and should I add them to my rule of thumb on an inch of fish per gal i have a tidal 100 hob filter

6.) Any specific gravel vac you would recommend for sand i have a small imagitarium and do I have to change my gravel vac-ing technique due to a geophagus

7.) I have been told before to forget the snails and go with a brislenose pleco what is ur opinion

8.) My bichir likes floating food will that be a problem in the future with the cichlids

● Please let me know the # of the question u are answering in ur reply if u dont mind ●

I'm planning on a combo of these cichlids with my bichir but no more then 72 in of fish if this helps lemon or blood oscar, blood parrot, red head tapajo, red tiger and/or red spotted severum, electric blue jack Dempsey, blue acara, starry night bleekari

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
1. No
2. Waterchange/ carbon
3. What exactly is a gray bichir? Do you know species? Cichlids and goldfish do not mix.
4. Snails can't hurt.
5. No while they do create waste I don't believe something like them needs to be accounted for.
6. You answered this yourself.
7. Well depends on what you want the snails for. The kind that burrow like you asked about in 5 like mts eat leftover food and detritus mostly a little algae grazing at night on the glass and decor. Most plecos dont do what you want them to do. I keep them because I like them and thats it. Different snails do different things mts burrow move the sand bed around eat leftovers, ramshorn also eat leftovers and film algae, nerite eats mostly algae stay on the glass/decor, there are others but that gives you a bit.
8 yup probably.
On top of all that your supposed stock list wont likely work because of aggression. On top of that the 1"/gallon rule is a farce. An Oscar in a 72 gallon with most of those other choices even just 1 or two is boarder line overstocked. Not to mention the potential for fight night at the 72g! A couple fish enter 1 fish lives! Depending on what exactly a gray bichir is he will possibly end up lunch on the Oscars menu.
On the let me know what # you are answering thing, while some dont mind other will just ignore that stuff and answer how they want, while other simply wont answer you. Dont limit yourself like that. You need as many people answering you as possible, you need help.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
A gray bichir is also called a dinosaur bichir which we know as a Senegal bichir.

I applaud twentyleagues for answering as I certainly was not very enthusiastic about answering this. Also, I would like to point out that inches of fish per gallon is not a good way to go about it and it should not be used.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
A gray bichir is also called a dinosaur bichir which we know as a Senegal bichir.

I applaud twentyleagues for answering as I certainly was not very enthusiastic about answering this. Also, I would like to point out that inches of fish per gallon is not a good way to go about it and it should not be used.
Thats what I was thinking it was but was hoping it would be one of the larger ones. I didnt want to go looking it up. Like I know enderlicheri is also refered to as a red bichir, delhezi as armored, weeksi as fat head, moke as green or Zaire green so many names so little time.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with both twentyleagues twentyleagues and fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 and will add would pickup some sinking pellet's for the Senegal poly. The Senegal poly will not survive if you add over aggressive Cichlids or if they are out competed for food. So do thourough research prior.

Reactions: twentyleagues

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
Funny thing about researching 2 pple will tell u yes and then 2 pple will tell u no I have researched alot and i still am thats y I'm asking ?'s these are the ?'s I haven't found an answer to yet ps I have a learning disability where I suck at writing words down I'll try to break it up more in the future

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ps those r not supposed to be aggressive cichlids the bleekari and oscar would be my biggest concern and I understand some will be different and am prepared to return them if they cant play nice

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
I agree with both twentyleagues twentyleagues and fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 and will add would pickup some sinking pellet's for the Senegal poly. The Senegal poly will not survive if you add over aggressive Cichlids or if they are out competed for food. So do thourough research prior.
I have them he just isn't a fan they will lay around for a while and I have a feeling the snail eats some and yes he did find them he just spit them out

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
Thats what I was thinking it was but was hoping it would be one of the larger ones. I didnt want to go looking it up. Like I know enderlicheri is also refered to as a red bichir, delhezi as armored, weeksi as fat head, moke as green or Zaire green so many names so little time.
Cant keep a larger 1 in that size tank

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019

What is ur rule of thumb some say 1in per 2gal very confusing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store