Need gray bichir expert help

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
There is no rule to fishkeeping when it comes to how big of a fish for what size tank, you have to use your best judgment.
The inch per gallon is flawed since it allows a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon. The 1 inch per 2 gallon is similar.

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
There is no rule to fishkeeping when it comes to how big of a fish for what size tank, you have to use your best judgment.
The inch per gallon is flawed since it allows a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon. The 1 inch per 2 gallon is similar.
I understand that I was just meaning with the fish I want and the size tank I have I was wondering ur opinion how many of those fish could go with my bichir in that tank I know those types of fish r good with my bichir as long as I watch for aggression and feed my bichir separate because even animal planet says calmer south American cichlids r safe not 2 be mean to the pple who said no i really have researched it

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you have a 72 gallon then all those big cichlids are a no. If your sand is under an inch thick then just stir it during water changes, that's the easiest way. Adding fish to a tank to solve a problem isn't usually the answer. HOWEVER, a group of Geophagus will make good tankmates for the bichir and keep your sand clean :D

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you have a 72 gallon then all those big cichlids are a no. If your sand is under an inch thick then just stir it during water changes, that's the easiest way. Adding fish to a tank to solve a problem isn't usually the answer. HOWEVER, a group of Geophagus will make good tankmates for the bichir and keep your sand clean :D
Correct a 72 gal isnt large enough of a space for a full grown large body cichlid. This is why the 1"/g rule is flawed. When you at talking small, less then 5" fish it's ok but when you start talking about fish that will grow longer then the tank is front to back its no way.

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
Correct a 72 gal isnt large enough of a space for a full grown large body cichlid. This is why the 1"/g rule is flawed. When you at talking small, less then 5" fish it's ok but when you start talking about fish that will grow longer then the tank is front to back its no way.
My tank is wider then most my potential fish its 13in at its smallest and widens to 18 only fish that can top that r the oscar and bisher

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
I just figured he would help and I like look of themI already stir they sand

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
My tank is wider then most my potential fish its 13in at its smallest and widens to 18 only fish that can top that r the oscar and bisher
Ok so what about a dragon blood, electric blue jack, red head tapajo, striped Raphael catfish and electric acara with bichir

BlipE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
I dont know if I posted this right what about a dragon blood, electric blue jack, electric acara, redhead tapajo, stripped Raphael catfish with my bichir

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I dont know if I posted this right what about a dragon blood, electric blue jack, electric acara, redhead tapajo, stripped Raphael catfish with my bichir

The Dragon Blood would probably kill the less aggressive Cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store