Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Set-Up:
265 Gallon Aquarium
FX5: Media Seachem Matrix
FX5 2 : Media Seachem Denitrate in 2 Baskets and Matrix in 1 Basket
Eheim Classic 600: Media Seachem Denitrate and filter Pads, Topped with Filter Floss
TurboTwist 36W: On 24/7
Ligting on 6 hours daily.

Water Params, 81* F
Water test 0, 0, 15

65% Water changes weekly, conditioned with Seachem Prime, and Stress Coat.

Original Stock,
1x 9" Rhino Pleco
1x 6" Sailfin Pleco
2x 3: Bushynose Pleco
2x 3.5" Pangasius Catfish
1x 3" Featherfin Ctafish
20x Giant Danio
13x 2-3" Oscars
2x Electric Blue Acara
1x Male Blue Convict Mated in Aquarium
1x Female Pink Convict Mated in Aquarium
20-30 .3" Baby Convicts.

Aquarium was started on 11/1/15. Fish stock was built over the course of 2 months. Convicts Bred on 12/4/15

Issue: Last week I lost an Oscar. He looked almost white/scaleless on the bottom of the tank in the AM. I suspected foul play from a pleco and brushed it off after testing water and getting 0-0-20

2 days later I found another dead Oscar. similar conditions, Water still 0--0-20. I did a 65% water change upped the temp to 82* and Dosed with Rid Ich as I seen a couple of small white spots on the Acaras.

The next day I discovered another dead oscar. Frayed Fins, White flesh, hazed over eyes. I performed another 50% water change and dosed the aquarium with Salt.

The Next day I discovered 2 more dead oscars and 1 not looking so well. After talking to LFS and showing them the dead Oscars they recomended a Heavy Water change and a series of Quick Cure. 3 Doses over 24 hours. Followed by another heavy water change.

Today I have 2 moire dead Oscars. Water Params are 0-0-5 ish temp is 82*, I have 7 oscars left all of which are eating, 1 has a small wound near his jaw which i figure is from him digging gravel. I have not lost any other Fish beside Oscars. I am completely lost as to what may be causing this.

Lastly: I know the aquarium is severely overstocked. The long term goal was to pick a few oscars of the bunch that looked the best and keep them and passing the rest off at the LFS. This is not my first aquarium and figured with Adequate heavy water changes the aquarium conditions would be fine until the oscars reached about 5-6" at which point I would begin weeding out the ones that i didn't care for.

Please advise as Id hate to lose any more of my fish...

Mike

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Did you buy all the Oscars together? They may have a parasite, and it could potentially pass to your other fish. Everything you are describing you did as a solution sounds good, but the fact they are still dying sounds to me like you got a bad batch.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Negative, the Oscars were purchased at 7 different fish stores, some are Wild Caught, others are Veil Tail, Albinos, Tigers, Reds, etc. it wa Quite the Assortment...

Please advise...

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Honestly, this is unusual, I don't know how to advise. But I'm sure someone on here will help. Keep the temps up, and keep an eye on the tank, I doubt its a cause of bullying, but you never know.

Reactions: Mavrick813

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Could it be aggression from the concivcts?
The Con male has his tunnel and keeps his lady in it. The babies are free swimming at this point and I'm actually inclined to think they have eggs laid already..

The Con only bothers the Featherfin as he's a bit dopey and wanders in to their tunnel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store