NEED HELP FAST, MISTAKES HAVE BEEN MADE ON AQUABID

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
TLDR: is a bid/buy on an auction still a legally binding contract if the auction is a scam and the item in said auction doesn't exist?

I may or may not have went through with the buy it now option on a scam auction. I only found out the seller was a scammer after going through with the buy it now. Fish I've wanted for years at half msrp was hard to resist. Then I looked into it, none of the images in any of their auctions were theirs, all the auctions were suspiciously cheap, not very detailed descriptions that were copy pasted across each one, and the seller had only 3 reviews that were copy pasted and from the same person. When I asked for pictures of the fish to prove legitimacy they refused and gave excuses, and keep coaxing me into sending them a payment. As far as I know the only way out of this is not paying, but I am concerned about legal issues that surround not paying for an item in a won auction, as I understand that winning an auction turns it into a legally binding contract. However my question is, is it still a legally binding contract/can legal action be taken upon me if I don't pay them even though they don't have the item I was supposed to pay for in the first place? I have sent the same question to aquabid itself.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
When I asked for pictures of the fish to prove legitimacy they refused and gave excuses, and keep coaxing me into sending them a payment.
This alone would have me running for the hills. Do not even think about paying them. The only extra time you should be giving to these people is to take a few minutes to report them, if you know which channels to go through. After that, wash your hands of them and look to more reputable suppliers.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it’s a scam or false advertising then i believe your not obligated to pay if the final transaction hasn’t gone thru. The things you mentioned are enough to question the seller. I’d not pay if u haven’t recieved fish or mailed the fish.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Aquabid was pretty strict on vendors or people who held auctions so I'm shocked about the scam auction. At the time I would always review the positive or negative report on the seller prior to buying on Aquabid.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If it's a scam you have nothing to loose but your money, don't send it.

If it's real you have a base to stand on as they can't or won't provide you with actual pics of said " product".

Worst case scenario is they make you pay and you get the fish. I think the buy it now option does not constitute a won auction unless explicitly stated as such.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have not sent payment, but these responses are the reassurance I need in regards to my fears of legal repercussions over livebearers.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
TLDR: is a bid/buy on an auction still a legally binding contract if the auction is a scam and the item in said auction doesn't exist?

I may or may not have went through with the buy it now option on a scam auction. I only found out the seller was a scammer after going through with the buy it now. Fish I've wanted for years at half msrp was hard to resist. Then I looked into it, none of the images in any of their auctions were theirs, all the auctions were suspiciously cheap, not very detailed descriptions that were copy pasted across each one, and the seller had only 3 reviews that were copy pasted and from the same person. When I asked for pictures of the fish to prove legitimacy they refused and gave excuses, and keep coaxing me into sending them a payment. As far as I know the only way out of this is not paying, but I am concerned about legal issues that surround not paying for an item in a won auction, as I understand that winning an auction turns it into a legally binding contract. However my question is, is it still a legally binding contract/can legal action be taken upon me if I don't pay them even though they don't have the item I was supposed to pay for in the first place? I have sent the same question to aquabid itself.
I wouldn’t pay them a dime. If by the very off chance they actually try to take legal action, you have enough to prove your case. I would just ignore them completely

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Why isnt the seller providing their own pictures of the specific stock they are selling to you? Yes run for the hills and no they already breached the contract first by presenting a picture as their own picture as Aquabid sellers rule is must use own picture on their end

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store