Need Help Quick

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hey guys. I think I ran into a problem that most of us have went through, which is , I don't want to say impulsive, but more like "unprepared" purchases. I really wanted a Vieja Argentea for so long, then I find one, at a good size, good health, and for only 8KWD(=~25$) , and guess what happened? I snatched it up before anyone gets it.
So I take it home , I don't have an extra tank laying around, so I break a piece of thin acrylic and make work as a divider in my "community" tank .

This is it now

That was about a week ago and the fish is doing fine, it was shy at first by now it is doing better.
Now here the stupidity follows. Today I went to the aquarium shops (they are located at the same place here in Kuwait) went to my favorite shop and found an Argentea, larger in size at the same price, and again, I got it.
Shopped more around and found some decent sized Greet Terrors (Rivulatus), they looked healthy and vibrant, and they were only 2.5KWD =(~8$) a piece, so I grabbed 2 of them.

Now all of the fish are acclimating, I haven't opened any bag yet. (they are floating for about an hour now)
Here are them

Note that I have a (god knows how much water it holds) tank outside that I'll bring in tomorrow, I got it used for a good price.
Here it is

I'll figure out a way to cover it when I move it.

The new Argentea (floating to the left side of the tank above) will go to this 30gal drum till tomorrow

I am waiting for the water to cool down to required temp. I'll throw a heater in there.

But what worries me the most, is the green terrors. They are acclimating on the first Argentea side.

The moment I placed the bag in the water the argentea quickly flared his colors and his body at them. At first they were showing some power but after the flaring they submitted. (note that the Argentea is significantly larger than the terrors)

Also what worries me is that the terrors have a slightly sunken belly. look at this pic

I don't how well are they fed at the store but they have some bulk to them (they are thick)

I saw something in the water that I'm worried what it is, it had the color of light brown (the exact color of nls pellets) that is elongated , but there was differently colored feces in the bag(dark brown). I couldn't take a photo for the camera wasn't focusing on it. Should I be worried?

With both of the Argentea and Terrors be ok till the move? which is tomorrow.

I know I made a stupid mistake but I'm new to SA cichlids (accept for discus and angels and rams) and I got a caprice on those fish.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'd put the green terrors in a quarantine tank until their bellies filled out. Sunken bellies like that can be a sign of parasites and innmu experience rivs are prone to it. It's usually accompanied with stringy, white feces.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I'd put the green terrors in a quarantine tank until their bellies filled out. Sunken bellies like that can be a sign of parasites and innmu experience rivs are prone to it. It's usually accompanied with stringy, white feces.
Thanks for the reply, I would do it if I had one. At the moment I only have the tank that's outside

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Use the outside tank as quarantine
I can't use the tank right now, I am waiting for someone to show up. The tank is heavy and I can't carry it myself. (it is 10mm glass)

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
worst case use the blue tub as a qt... since its not a permanent home it will be fine

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
If only those impulsive buys were the worst I or anyone else made. ;)
I am sure they'll get along once they actually have the entire space and decor.

Right now, you had them (through a bag) in space that barely allows them to turn, so it makes sense they are flaring, and that an order forms. More room will put them more at ease. :)

What I was wondering tho, since the outside tank is unused, have you planned to have enough media for a fast cycling, with used water from any of the other tank, or a shared pump?

They are gorgeous btw. :)

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
My goodness you are going to have your hands full lol. I understand about impulse buys but, dude, you're a fishoholic lol. That new tank will not be big enough long term for 2 Argentea and the GTs. It looks like it may only be around 40 gallons or so but I could be wrong. Can you give us the dimensions?

Question...why is your existing running tank only partially filled? Fill that sucker up! :)

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Question...why is your existing running tank only partially filled? Fill that sucker up! :)
I may be wrong, but I see no middle reinforcements, or whatever that's called in English. If that's the case, I would advise against it. ;)
I don't know the dimensions, just guessing. :)

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I may be wrong, but I see no middle reinforcements, or whatever that's called in English. If that's the case, I would advise against it. ;)
I don't know the dimensions, just guessing. :)
Ah, good eye Madou. I didn't even notice that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store