Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey guys, so something is wrong with my 13" Oscar fish (Titan). I've never posted before I figured this was my best option for help. I bought Titan about 6 months ago he was already this size when I got him, so I have no idea how old he is.

Unfortunately I feel like it was my fault too which makes this scenario suck even more. So I do two water changes a week one 40-50% on Mondays and then a smaller one at about 15-20% on Fridays. Titan is in a 125 gallon with a 6" female Jaguar cichlid and 7" male Freddy cichlid with two convicts and a Firemouth. Titan is the clear tank boss but everyone gets along great.

I still do the bucket method for water changes and whenever I do water changes on Titans tank he always follows me around. I try my best to match the temperature from my faucet to the tank usually spot on. So I was refilling the tank (I always use one hand to deflect the water so it doesn't blow the substrate everywhere) I noticed the water was a tad colder than the tank but not in a major way. The bucket slipped out of my hand so a bunch of the water splashed right on top of Titan. He instantly shook his head then started swimming erratically. I figured it maybe just scared him a bit so slowly finished filling then kept checking on him thinking he'll be okay.

I did the rest of my tanks for the day (I have three 125g tanks a 75g and two 55g tank so its a project) and he still wasn't right he would try to swim but was swimming on his side sometimes upside down but would always go lay down behind his favorite spot. Days later it was the same exact thing. He stopped eating completely, his favorite food is frozen brine shrimp cubes so I tried using my tongs to feed him directly but wouldn't take it.

It's been two weeks and still nothing has really changed I have 4 other oscar fish so I know how tough they can be so was really hoping he'd randomly recover one day. He still tries to swim and is no longer swimming on his side or upside down but it looks like it takes everything he has to move, he kind if jerks around while swimming like something isn't working if he isn't trying to swim he just lays down completely on his side either breathing rapidly or very faintly. Everyday I still try to feed but he won't take food. Then yesterday I was feeding the rest of the tank meal worms and I noticed he got up and was heading to the surface for food. I got super excited put a few more in to help him but I noticed he was just taking bites at them then spitting it out.

I feel awful and I don't know what to do. I don't want to medicate because he isn't sick, he still has his colors (albino red oscar) but he just doesn't seem like he can function properly anymore I don't know if there was brain damage or not I'm at a loss. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys, so something is wrong with my 13" Oscar fish (Titan). I've never posted before I figured this was my best option for help. I bought Titan about 6 months ago he was already this size when I got him, so I have no idea how old he is.

Unfortunately I feel like it was my fault too which makes this scenario suck even more. So I do two water changes a week one 40-50% on Mondays and then a smaller one at about 15-20% on Fridays. Titan is in a 125 gallon with a 6" female Jaguar cichlid and 7" male Freddy cichlid with two convicts and a Firemouth. Titan is the clear tank boss but everyone gets along great.

I still do the bucket method for water changes and whenever I do water changes on Titans tank he always follows me around. I try my best to match the temperature from my faucet to the tank usually spot on. So I was refilling the tank (I always use one hand to deflect the water so it doesn't blow the substrate everywhere) I noticed the water was a tad colder than the tank but not in a major way. The bucket slipped out of my hand so a bunch of the water splashed right on top of Titan. He instantly shook his head then started swimming erratically. I figured it maybe just scared him a bit so slowly finished filling then kept checking on him thinking he'll be okay.

I did the rest of my tanks for the day (I have three 125g tanks a 75g and two 55g tank so its a project) and he still wasn't right he would try to swim but was swimming on his side sometimes upside down but would always go lay down behind his favorite spot. Days later it was the same exact thing. He stopped eating completely, his favorite food is frozen brine shrimp cubes so I tried using my tongs to feed him directly but wouldn't take it.

It's been two weeks and still nothing has really changed I have 4 other oscar fish so I know how tough they can be so was really hoping he'd randomly recover one day. He still tries to swim and is no longer swimming on his side or upside down but it looks like it takes everything he has to move, he kind if jerks around while swimming like something isn't working if he isn't trying to swim he just lays down completely on his side either breathing rapidly or very faintly. Everyday I still try to feed but he won't take food. Then yesterday I was feeding the rest of the tank meal worms and I noticed he got up and was heading to the surface for food. I got super excited put a few more in to help him but I noticed he was just taking bites at them then spitting it out.

I feel awful and I don't know what to do. I don't want to medicate because he isn't sick, he still has his colors (albino red oscar) but he just doesn't seem like he can function properly anymore I don't know if there was brain damage or not I'm at a loss. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome aboard

How do you test the temperature of your water? I would just keep observing Titan for a day or two and hopefully everything will go back to normal. I personally use a digital thermometer with a probe because I would use the hand feel way and found out I was adding water too warm.

Reactions: kno4te and Deadeye

Njetski92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2021
Welcome aboard

How do you test the temperature of your water? I would just keep observing Titan for a day or two and hopefully everything will go back to normal. I personally use a digital thermometer with a probe because I would use the hand feel way and found out I was adding water too warm.
Thanks for responding! I always take a bucket of the tank water and then keep my hand under the faucet for a few minutes then put it in the bucket to see if it's warmer or colder. All my tanks sit at 78-79 degrees except for my discus tank so thought I was just getting good at knowing. Clearly I should invest in a thermometer to make sure this never happens again. Just feel awful cause he seems like he's suffering.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for responding! I always take a bucket of the tank water and then keep my hand under the faucet for a few minutes then put it in the bucket to see if it's warmer or colder. All my tanks sit at 78-79 degrees except for my discus tank so thought I was just getting good at knowing. Clearly I should invest in a thermometer to make sure this never happens again. Just feel awful cause he seems like he's suffering.
How is the Oscar breathing? If not rapid just observe and don't add any medication.

Reactions: Deadeye

Njetski92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2021
How is the Oscar breathing? If not rapid just observe and don't add any medication.
When he's laying down he seems to be taking big deep breaths, when he tries to swim then lays down he starts breathing very rapidly. He tries to get up and swim every 20 minutes or so but looks completely out of it. Hes been laying down so much it seems like he's getting small sores that irritates him to want to try to change positions.

Njetski92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2021
When he's laying down he seems to be taking big deep breaths, when he tries to swim then lays down he starts breathing very rapidly. He tries to get up and swim every 20 minutes or so but looks completely out of it. Hes been laying down so much it seems like he's getting small sores that irritates him to want to try to change positions.
This is where he chooses to stay when he lays down. Luckily he got up so I could take a few of him trying to swim. Just doesn't seem like he's alert like a blank look in his eyes.

20211025_151735.jpg

20211025_152421.jpg

20211025_152414.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Njetski92

Njetski92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2021
Yeah looks like the Oscar is definitely struggling. I suggest taking out those rocks for awhile. Test your water parameters and post them.
Thank you for helping out! I'll take the rocks out, his old spot before this was the other side of the tank which I left completely open for him cause hes so big. Then as soon as this happened he decided to go to the other side and steal the jaguars hiding spot. Wasn't sure if he just felt more comfortable there. My water conditions are...

Ph - 6.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

This is after my big 50% water changes today but my parameters stay around this in all my tanks, nitrate never goes past 5.0 ppm. I can be heavy handed with feeding so I make sure to stay on top of my water testing and changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you for helping out! I'll take the rocks out, his old spot before this was the other side of the tank which I left completely open for him cause hes so big. Then as soon as this happened he decided to go to the other side and steal the jaguars hiding spot. Wasn't sure if he just felt more comfortable there. My water conditions are...

Ph - 6.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

This is after my big 50% water changes today but my parameters stay around this in all my tanks, nitrate never goes past 5.0 ppm. I can be heavy handed with feeding so I make sure to stay on top of my water testing and changes.
That's your PH 6.6 coming out of your faucet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store