Need help with new Fire Eel

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
If you brought it from a private seller. Ask the previous owner what they fed them. One of my two growouts is extremely picky and is ingoring cut up shrimp but is greedy with bloodworms, ok brine shrimp or mysis shrimp
I haven’t try brine shrimp and mysis shrimp yet. Will see if I can find some and try.

thanks

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
From a store and they told me they don’t know. I tried the night crawler again today and still no interest. I drop a bunch of different food at light out every night and hoping it will eat something.
i know it can be stressful but a 20 inch fire eel is not a newborn, he’s lived thus far. I am sure he is eating something. Again, I haven’t seen my fire eel eat in 3 months. I would have to assume if he’s eaten nothing, he would be dead. It would not be a bad idea to drop a large sum of black worms into your tank, this way he has something to hunt for at night. They will bury in the sand and the other fish should lose interest while the eel won’t.

Reactions: Eric1115

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
i know it can be stressful but a 20 inch fire eel is not a newborn, he’s lived thus far. I am sure he is eating something. Again, I haven’t seen my fire eel eat in 3 months. I would have to assume if he’s eaten nothing, he would be dead. It would not be a bad idea to drop a large sum of black worms into your tank, this way he has something to hunt for at night. They will bury in the sand and the other fish should lose interest while the eel won’t.
Thanks, at what point should I be really concern? Does it have to be black worms? Can it be night crawler or other worms?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Thanks, at what point should I be really concern? Does it have to be black worms? Can it be night crawler or other worms?
black or blood worms will colonize and live in your substrate, I don’t think any other actual worms will. I say blackworms instead of bloodworms because there a little better for the fish’s digestion

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
black or blood worms will colonize and live in your substrate, I don’t think any other actual worms will. I say blackworms instead of bloodworms because there a little better for the fish’s digestion
Thanks, I will try to find black worms.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
What about muscle mine loves them and they’re quite cheap.
I tried that also and no take, atleast that I can see, so far the only two things it took in and spits out are krill and tilapia. Others it doesn’t even take in. It smells them the shakes it head like sneezing.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I tried that also and no take, atleast that I can see, so far the only two things it took in and spits out are krill and tilapia. Others it doesn’t even take in. It smells them the shakes it head like sneezing.
keep trying, his alternative is death ?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Try cut up shrimp into smaller pieces. I have to do that with mine sometimes as if too big it shakes its head holding the piece like a dog shaking its head til piece gets smaller and smaller it has to be so bright to grab the biggest for the other tankmates and ingore the smallest

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store