Need help with tannin removal.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
John, there is row of rose bushes outside of that wall. However one rose bush will be the sole beneficiary. It should be the most magnificent rose bush in no time.
I may have a solution for your drip system problem. The system will start with a "normally closed" solenoid valve on the water supply. The at rest state of the vavle is closed. This means that when the power to it is off, the water can't flow. You can add a manual switch so that you can run the system when you want. Then, of course, you will need a waste water holding tank with a sump pump. The tank will need a high level float switch wired to the water supply solenoid valve. This is to kill the power to the valve if the tank gets too full (such as a pump failure or frozen pipe).
Sounds like a good system, but not really workable for my situation. I can't have my normal weekly water change of 500+/- gallons just dump out on my lawn or garden too close to the house. My locale is flat as a pancake and has pretty poor drainage; the water must be exhausted at least 80 or 100 feet away from the structure; otherwise I have a swamp in the summer, and a giant skating rink in the winter...right up against the house and messing up the walkway to the back door.

I'm retired, and quite enjoy monitoring water changes myself. My system isn't perfect, but it's cheap, simple, effective... and totally non-automated. I like maintaining control of the process. :)

Reactions: CHOMPERS

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would just friction fit lengths of PVC and walk it around while flowing to send old water around to different parts of the yard.
Or add PVC Tees to split flows
My normal water changes were around that volume same with 20 tanks.
1685374680036.png1685375004369.png1685375035222.png

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have a valve-controlled T-fitting in the basement on the line leading from the exhaust pump. One arm of the T feeds a line that just dumps into a buried Big-O drainpipe that leads out into the adjacent pasture; this is usable only during the warm months.

The other arm of the T feeds a standard external faucet, onto which I can thread a garden hose that lets me direct water to wherever I want it. During the cold months, I must use a hose on this to pump water out into that pasture; the hose must be put in place just before the water change, and then removed immediately afterwards, to prevent freezing. I've shattered a couple of hoses that were forgotten outside a bit too long. :)

This winter-hose thing is the single thing about my system that I really don't like...but it's really the only way for me to deal with water disposal during sub-zero weather. I've considered running heat-trace lines along the buried Big-O and trying to use that during winter, but the contour of the land is so utterly flat that even if I can keep the water in the Big-O in a liquid state, it will freeze up and quickly plug the end of the drain pipe when it exits. So pac boots and parka are the order of the day once a week on water-change day. :)

duanes duanes , surely that set-up you show was useless during a Minnesota winter as well? Or did you have sufficient contour in your land that the water could run right out the end without pooling and freezing up.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yes during winter it was disassembled, unless I wanted a ice rink.
Yeah, for me that would work about 7.5 months each year. Better to just bite the bullet and set up a system with year round functionality and versatility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store