need id

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
this fish is in the cichlid system at work (a pet shop), no one who works there knows where it came from. im not sure if it is a south american or central american cichlid or from somewhere else. anyone know what it is?

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
It looks like a little veija of some kind to me...Central American.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
i was gonna say it strangely reminds me off my cichlasoma oblongus with really faded colors. :confused:

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
yes, colors may be faded as the system he is in isnt of the highest quality water, and i had just pulled him out of it and put him in a specimen container. is there a common name for them? any info on them? (size, temperment, water parameters, temp, etc.). i put him in with jack dempseys of about the same size and he kept them on their end of the tank. he is pretty mean so he gets his own tank now.

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
could be a tilapia of some sort. someone here must have the baenchs guide?

Cory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like a stressed out black belt or a very young one.

bullibudget

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2005
australia
IVE GOT EXACTLY THE SOME FISH ... IT WAS SOLD TO ME AS A SYNSPILLUM...BUT IVE SINCE GOT SOME PROPER SYNSPILLUM AND HES NOTHING LIKE EM... I'M THINKING THAT THIS COULD BE A BLACK BELT-SYNSPILLUM CROSS. I HOPE I'M WRONG ..BUT IT DEFINATLY HAS GOT VEIJA IN HIM AND THAT MAKES HIM MEAN!!!!
IS HE RED IN THE TAIL AND DOES HIS "BLACK BELT" APPEAR WHEN HE'S PUSHING HIS TANKMATES AROUND???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store