Need suggestions

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Didn't even think to ask you all but after reading a thread on another section I just realized you all can probably help me. Need stocking ideas for a tall tank I bought on a spur cuz it was practically free but now I been stuck with no clue on what to put in it. Bought it on pure reflex without thinking of fish. 30 inches by 30 inches by 4 feet tall. I'm not into discuss or angel dishes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Screenshot_20190111-003026_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Cool looking tank...you can do a lot of gradients to display fish that occupy different zones. Stocking depends on the type of fish your into. Are you wanting monster fish or community?

Something like clouded archers up top, some midwater dwellers like silver dollars or a group of frontosa, and some nice exotic plecos or loaches would look nice on the bottom.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
I already have 2 large monsterfish stocked tanks so im open to non monsterfish type suggestions. Im not really into the small tetra type community tho. Frontosa would be cool but ive already bred 2 types in the past. I have actually considered an archer tank but i side of me feels it would it be pain to service a tank so tall with branches and such. i tested it and have to use a 4ft ladder to to even get my hands in

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
What about (dare I say) some kind of African rift tank? You could make some very nice tall structures for the fish to swim in.

I'm not usually a fan of African rift tanks (compared to CA/SA tanks) but I feel like Africans could look really nice in there.

I once seen a tank similar (3' almost cube, 3.5' tall) set up with Africans and I have to admit it was one of the nicest tanks I've seen in person. The rock was all built up in the middle and the fish could swim around and through the structure. It housed a colony of black and orange tropheus and some cuckoo synos and looked beautiful.
Just make sure if you do go that route that you join the rocks together with something that holds firm, and make sure they can't tip over and kill your fish/smash your tank.. :)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I like that tank! 30x30 is a decent footprint to work with.

If its me, i would put the tank in a corner. Cut and fix a couple pieces of flat driftwood (mopani works great) into the back corner at varying depths to arrange several "shelf" type structures in the tank.

Stock with a multitude of african tetras and some smaller congo cichlids and syno cats.

I would also suggest a powerful air pump and sponge filter to drive water up from the depths of the tank and aid in oxygenation. Have you given any though to filtration?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Saltwater eel. Dragon moray? Tall rock structure. Use acrylic rods to support it or one of the million reef cement products out there

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Monodactylus argenteus
I forget the common name but maybe a big group of these if you are down for a brackish/saltwater tank.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Maybe some sort of half aquarium half vivarium/terrarium... You could have frogs or lizards or tarantulas or something that does well in high humidity up top, and some sort of dwarf cichlid thing or oddball thing going on underneath.

Reactions: Seedy J

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
I want to take advantage of the height but at the same consider how hard the maintenance will be. The tank has two holes predrilled on the bottom for 1 inch bulk heads which i was thinking could be intake lines for a pressurized canister (fx6) and it also has a huge overflow at the top of which i was thinking to feed a 2nd cannister. The opening up top isnt the biggest for servicing so im leaning towards a very thin layer of sand or bare bottom. I found a very very cool product at a reptile store called MAGNATURALS FLOATING CAVES and was gonna test it if the plastic on it was fish safe for floating cave action options. My wife wants me to get another fahaka as i had one like 15 years ago and it was her favorite but i already have a mbu in my 240. I been stumped on this project for a while....closest thing i been considering is the puffer for wifey or maybe even a colorful tanganikan set of dwarf cichlids but i been there and done that already...hoping you folks can help me think of something i never done before. This project has made me realize that most of the fish ive kept need swim space horizontally lol

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store