need wolf fish info

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Try to keep 1 or 3 or more. Also keep a tight lid, they will try to get out, and are very good at it! fairly easy to lean of live food, not the most active fish, rainbow are nicer looking and more active

Bullterrier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2006
SINGAPORE
dangitseric;257108; said:
I want to get a wolf fish but i need info on them
This is one of the many wolf fish u can keep,but bare in mind dun mix them with others or keep more then one because they will fight to hell.I myself is keeping 3 so thats why i know some tips on them.so happy keeping,cheers:naughty:

matty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Three Trees;306890; said:

are you sure you can keep this kind of fish?
That's a marine wolf fish, Anarhichas lupus mate. Dangitseric is probably asking about freshwater wolf fish from the family Erythrinidae ;)
Dangitseric I'd go for an Erythrinus erythrinus as a first wolf. Stay quite small, are quite cheap and are still little nutters in personality terms.

SLANTED

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
As implied by some posts here, there are many fishes labeled as wolfish. They generally come from either the Hoplias, erythrinus, or hoplerythrinus genuses. Some max out at 8" and can be in a community tank, while others max out at 4' and will kill anything that enters the tank.

ponch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2006
Illinois
I have the same hoplias malabaricus species as the one in the picture Bullterrier posted. It has been housed for about 6 months in a 150 gallon with a leporinus fasciatus, a species of tandanus (eel-tailed cat, but not quite sure which!) and a pike cichlid (crenicichla johanna). They are all about the same size, approximately 8-10 inches. I would not say they get along wonderfully, but they all respect each other and there is very little bickering. The tank is filled with a large amount of driftwood and large rounded rocks, which offers plenty of boundaries and reduces squabbling. The wolf fish tends to hover or lay parallel to a piece of wood and appear to blend in with it. Definitely an ambusher, but will occasionally make quick chase attempts halfway across the tank. It will take any live fish that can fit in its mouth and also smaller crayfish.

roybryan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2006
georgia
I have 3 hoplias malabracus one is a foot long and one is 8 inches they are housed in a 220 gal with a red tail cat marbled pim. an argenius sp. a oscar and some pacus. they keep to themselves and devour gold fish. the other is a mean bastard. bought him about 3 weeks ago at 3 inches and at the same time i bought 2 tsn at the same size and 2 rtc also the same size. he has ate them all and countless goldfish and i think he has about doubled in size. it wont be long before he is in the 220 also. he has not bothered a leaf fish or several species of barracudas that i also house with him. all in all they are good fish with some serious dental work and i would assume they could lay a hurting on you. they are jumpers as well as bottomless pits. I personaly enjoy them eventhough they are predominantly solitary and dont swim around to much. on a side note joe from tfd has some good wolfs at the cheapest prices i have seen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store