New 125 all male peacock and Hap tank

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
I have removed all the rocks and only left that one giant drift wood. Once I add the 9 fish, will see how they do and may eventually move the drift wood to the 100 and move few of the large rocks back here. But after looking at multiple videos online, I see most people have little to no rocks in their large Haps tank.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
There are plenty of Mbuna that can hold their own or even beat down much larger Haps.
My Zebra Chilumba, Kenyis & Red Zebras occassionally chase my Fusco. I'm pretty sure the Chilumba recently murdered my
Very aggressive Red Ruby Peacock, RIP.
Your Yellow Lab will likely be fine.
Post pics of the new fish.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
There are plenty of Mbuna that can hold their own or even beat down much larger Haps.
My Zebra Chilumba, Kenyis & Red Zebras occassionally chase my Fusco. I'm pretty sure the Chilumba recently murdered my
Very aggressive Red Ruby Peacock, RIP.
Your Yellow Lab will likely be fine.
Post pics of the new fish.
Great, just don’t want to wake up one morning and see it being eaten by one of the big boys but I think I will start worry once one of them get close to 8-9 inch.

how long does it normally take for a Hap to get to 8-9 or larger size?

Thanks

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Growth rates depend on the genetics of a particular variety of Hap. IMO, two years would be a good ball park estimate for a Hap to reach the majority of its size.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
It has a pretty good sized pointed anal fin, a male trait. At about 3" my Fusco turned sort of red, then its face slowly began to turn blue. Full color by 4.5".
My scape is designed more like The Morning The Morning a lot of rocks with open swimming area above the hardscape.
The Haps don't particularly take advantage of the caves but do dash through the gaps and crevaces. Your group of new Haps would probably appreciate more hiding spots during the acclimation period.
I've seen those XL non scaped Hap tanks on YouTube. Kind of boring if you ask me. IMO cichlids need environmental stimulus such as rocks & substrate in order to demonstrate natural behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store