New 180 gallon stocking

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Came home from a holiday with some fish for my 180gallon which at this stage only has a sailfin pleco.
The guy at the petshop said it would be fine but I still have doubts lol

I purchased:
- 3" Jaguar cichlid
- 2" Festae
- 3" Herichthys Carpintis

Just after an opinion on whether this has any chance of working? Some people say to add more fish to curb aggression but to me that idea seems like it might just be adding more fuel to the fire.

Thanks

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Came home from a holiday with some fish for my 180gallon which at this stage only has a sailfin pleco.
The guy at the petshop said it would be fine but I still have doubts lol

I purchased:
- 3" Jaguar cichlid
- 2" Festae
- 3" Herichthys Carpintis

Just after an opinion on whether this has any chance of working? Some people say to add more fish to curb aggression but to me that idea seems like it might just be adding more fuel to the fire.

Thanks
Adding fish to reduce agression really does work with most South American cichlids they need to be house alone or with 5 or more other cichlids. I tried to add two oscars in to my tank which only had one other oscar in it and the original oscar had gotten so aggressive it wasn't even funny. I then received 5 black belt cichlids and the aggression all of a sudden stopped. So yes it really does work but there is always a possibility for a bully fish that thinks he is the boss of the whole entire tank. I hope I helped and good luck

Reactions: J. H.

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Adding fish to reduce agression really does work with most South American cichlids they need to be house alone or with 5 or more other cichlids. I tried to add two oscars in to my tank which only had one other oscar in it and the original oscar had gotten so aggressive it wasn't even funny. I then received 5 black belt cichlids and the aggression all of a sudden stopped. So yes it really does work but there is always a possibility for a bully fish that thinks he is the boss of the whole entire tank. I hope I helped and good luck
Yeh helps heaps thanks. Mainly ever kept "wet pets" in a 75 and 55 gallon and always got the impression that things worked a bit differently in a 180gallon.

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Yeh helps heaps thanks. Mainly ever kept "wet pets" in a 75 and 55 gallon and always got the impression that things worked a bit differently in a 180gallon.
Hahaha yeah I was honestly surprised when it actually worked I only read about it and I was happy when it worked. You just need really good filtration. Another way to stop aggression is to get tetras that are to big to fit in there mouths and make sure they are fast enough

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Hahaha yeah I was honestly surprised when it actually worked I only read about it and I was happy when it worked. You just need really good filtration. Another way to stop aggression is to get tetras that are to big to fit in there mouths and make sure they are fast enough
Are silver dollars a fish that would work to stop aggression or would they get smashed eventually?

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Are silver dollars a fish that would work to stop aggression or would they get smashed eventually?
They could help but with the jag I would say that they will get smashed sooner or later. But it might work if you grow them all up together

Reactions: J. H.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
some silver dollar dithers could work, convicts would probably not be a bad idea either. You have a feisty mix, it's definitely not guaranteed to work whether or not you add other fish. When they all get to full size, especially if they are all males, The jaguar or festae might decide they want the tank for themselves. I'd say the jag would be the biggest threat. You can give it a shot, but I would keep dividers on hand when they get larger and be ready to separate/rehome if it goes sour.

Reactions: TheOscarFishKing

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Yeh I might give the convicts a go. Cheaper than silver dollars around here anyway lol I understand it is always a possibility a large american cichlid might claim a whole tank for itself and I'm sure that all 3 cichlids I've got have done it to many people before but with a 75 gallon on hand if stuff goes sour thought it was worth a shot. Would still be happy with either a giant Male Jag or Festae wet pet in a 180 gallon.

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
Yeh I might give the convicts a go. Cheaper than silver dollars around here anyway lol I understand it is always a possibility a large american cichlid might claim a whole tank for itself and I'm sure that all 3 cichlids I've got have done it to many people before but with a 75 gallon on hand if stuff goes sour thought it was worth a shot. Would still be happy with either a giant Male Jag or Festae wet pet in a 180 gallon.
Haha I forgot about the convicts. Just make sure that you watch them because they breed like it's nobody's business

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Convicts would be good. I noticed at the Barcelona aquarium, where I was recently, that in the cichlid tanks with convicts that the larger cichlids were mainly ignoring each other while the convictd were flaring and fighting everywhere lol

Maybe they do mellow stuff out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store