New 180 gallon stocking

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
over stocking tanks can work long time but it needs a lot of carefull planning and tweaking. Normally the best way is to have same sex tanks, all male/ female or very large tanks, just dropping some unsexed fish into a 180 gal probably isn't going to work long term.

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
over stocking tanks can work long time but it needs a lot of carefull planning and tweaking. Normally the best way is to have same sex tanks, all male/ female or very large tanks, just dropping some unsexed fish into a 180 gal probably isn't going to work long term.
Yeh I completely understand and was hoping really for all males really. Jag and Festae are a bit too small still to sex but could move them on if they turn out to be females. The carpintis is male though which is a start.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Tinfoils and bala sharks are good dithers for big cichlids, too, but tinfoils might be too big for a 240.
I have seen people on other threads say mbuna are bettter for this purpose than convicts because the convicts will chew your monsters' fins. There was a warning about diet compatability and the fact that a mbuna against anything remotely near its own size is an unstoppable for destruction, even against badass CAs.
Here's the thread about it: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...re-the-best-dithers-for-monster-tanks.686841/

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
After having a bit of a think about it I have decided to play it safe and sold the Jag. Do you think it is possible at all to keep a Male or Female Festae with a male Carpintis? Or is the carpintis going to be dead eventually too?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I'd say it is possible but I would add some other cichlids now while they are small, if it's just the festae and carpintis there will be nothing to distract the festae from tormenting the texas (or the other way around depending on size of the fish)

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'd personally get rid of one of them, and get another of the one you keep. Add some fake floating plants to relax them and some dithers or target fish depending on how it unfolds.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store