New 300G Setup

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Can you provide a link to the warlmart item - i'm not sure waht 'polyester fill' are - i presume they are similar to filter media bags. I've been debating between using customaquarium sump or using a tank with swisstropical sponges. I'm not sure 40 gallon is a large enough sump for a 450 tank but certainly a 55 or 70 should work. Of course the pia would be drilling a drain hole at the end. The drain hole is so that if that a drip system could be used - and the out flow would be from the sump as it 'overflows'.

Those are called filter media cups and I got them on eBay from a seller that goes by the name of: filtermediacup. Original name lol… They work really well and sure beat cleaning socks. I just trash my polyester fill after a couple of days and throw in new. At $13 for a huge bag of it at Walmart it’s hard to beat.

My sump is under my tank. I fill from my sump and turn one pump on to keep up with the water flow, when the tank up top is full and starts overflowing back down to the sump then I fill to my desired water height in the sump which is dictated by the noise of the overflow and how long it takes to get the siphon going. The first time you fill it you will no doubt need someone at both the tank and sump to if nothing else check for leaks and make sure everything is flowing as it should. Good luck.

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Can you provide a link to the warlmart item - i'm not sure waht 'polyester fill' are - i presume they are similar to filter media bags. I've been debating between using customaquarium sump or using a tank with swisstropical sponges. I'm not sure 40 gallon is a large enough sump for a 450 tank but certainly a 55 or 70 should work. Of course the pia would be drilling a drain hole at the end. The drain hole is so that if that a drip system could be used - and the out flow would be from the sump as it 'overflows'.
Yeah this is similar to what I got. Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiberfill, 50oz bag - Walmart.com - Walmart.com just be sure it is 100% polyester and doesn't have any chemicals or anti-fire additives and you should be fine. eg.

• 100% polyester fiberfill
  • Use for all types of craft and home decor projects
  • Can be used for cloud scapes, cloud ceilings and cloud walls
  • Hypo-allergenic
  • No added chemicals or flame retardants

Reactions: deeda and jake37

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Not sure, I tried the feeding mode awhile back and it shut the pumps down for 5 min and then fired them back up. I didn’t have to do any config other than set the outlets as pumps in the configuration so not sure why yours isn’t working? It looked like it just killed power to the outlets. I did the advanced setup on my heaters and they seem to be working well too. Finally I setup an alert that if the temp was over or under my desired range it would send me an alert In the app, which in my mind is the most important one.

Not utilizing the built in feed function but a separate, custom piece of logic. I don't need pumps to turn off as the heavy pellets don't get sucked up. I am looking for: Press Button -> turns on outlet for 3-5 seconds -> outlet off.

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Not utilizing the built in feed function but a separate, custom piece of logic. I don't need pumps to turn off as the heavy pellets don't get sucked up. I am looking for: Press Button -> turns on outlet for 3-5 seconds -> outlet off.
I see, this link isn't exactly what you are looking for, but should be relevant and fairly easy to get what you are needing from. AFS Programming Guide : Neptune Systems

Reactions: TexasMFK31

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Yeah in my opinion on the sump, the bigger you can go the better. You will obviously need to be able to handle the water coming down from the tank in case the pump shuts off so remember if you go with a 40 Gallon you will likely only be able to have water volume of 30ish G . I am doing (2) 40G for a 300G in this build and am probably actually only really getting 65 to 70G of extra water volume. Then with all of the filter media and equipment the space is quickly eaten up. I considered doing the custom aquariums sump option, but it seemed like I was paying alot and not getting much in return. Plus I like building things and felt like I would have a lot more space with my

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Yea - the price point on their sump is a bit high; also i dislike that it doesn't work well with poret foam. I'm a big fan of foam for both mechanical and bio filtration. A 75 gallon tank might be feasible. Why are you going with 2 40's wouldn't one larger tank be more efficient ? I guess my one concern with the sump is drilling it; I also guess those smaller tanks like 40 are pretty cheap if you can get them at petco $1 sale compared to the larger tank. Still even with a 75 it should only be around $200 compared to $1000 for customaquarium sump.

Yeah in my opinion on the sump, the bigger you can go the better. You will obviously need to be able to handle the water coming down from the tank in case the pump shuts off so remember if you go with a 40 Gallon you will likely only be able to have water volume of 30ish G . I am doing (2) 40G for a 300G in this build and am probably actually only really getting 65 to 70G of extra water volume. Then with all of the filter media and equipment the space is quickly eaten up. I considered doing the custom aquariums sump option, but it seemed like I was paying alot and not getting much in return. Plus I like building things and felt like I would have a lot more space with my

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
So when I originally set it all up I had planned on going with a 75g, but it wouldn’t fit under the tank. So I did the 2 40gallons. I’m not really a big fan of baffles in the tank, so having the space split up like it is really worked out well for me and the poret foam works great as spacers. I got both the 75 I tried to originally put in the stand and the 40’s from petco. For the bigger tanks they do them half price now. So the 75’s are around $100 and the 40’s are around $50 if you catch the sale. Drilling glass really isn’t bad. Just make sure the tank is not tempered. The 40’s I got do not have their sides tempered, but I believe the bottom is. Just be sure before you drill you check. The drilling part is really pretty easy just wear gloves and eye protection and watch some YouTube for pointers.

Yea - the price point on their sump is a bit high; also i dislike that it doesn't work well with poret foam. I'm a big fan of foam for both mechanical and bio filtration. A 75 gallon tank might be feasible. Why are you going with 2 40's wouldn't one larger tank be more efficient ? I guess my one concern with the sump is drilling it; I also guess those smaller tanks like 40 are pretty cheap if you can get them at petco $1 sale compared to the larger tank. Still even with a 75 it should only be around $200 compared to $1000 for customaquarium sump.

Reactions: jake37
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store