- Jan 6, 2018
Couple of updates on the build. I've been cycling now for a few weeks which has been going well. Ammonia is dropping to 0 whenever I add a splash in the morning and evening. Nitrites are sky high so just waiting for the nitrite eating bacteria to get going. Per what T Tj203 said, I found that the 2 300W were not enough to bump my 300G plus the 70ishG in the sump to 85F to encourage bacteria growth so ended up getting 2 600W and I'm now easily able to push it up to 85F. I found that the template I used from customaquariums on the glasscages tank was just a bit too short. I probably should have added about .25" to it to have the tank water level ideal. Lesson learned I should have done more than just eyeball it and hope that the tanks had the same trim height. Both the syphon stoppers and the returns were just a bit too high. The syphon stoppers top piece was hitting my glass top, and the added pressure was causing the two middle bulkheads to leak. I got my trusty precision sander out and knocked a good 1/8" off the top of each and they are now able to sit in there and not touch the top and the bulkheads haven't leaked since. Because the returns are not glued I was able to angle them in such a way to allow for more water flow and the water level in the tank is right where it needs to be. Draining the tank into the drain under my spigot did not work I was getting water up on the base of the house, so I ended up going towards the garden I still have to dig a trench so it is not cutting off my gate. Pictures and new hardware news coming soon.