New 33,000 gal indoor pond

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
How about aquatic turtles? I think it'd be awesome to walk in and see some sliders chilling on a log in the middle of that.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
That office building/pond looks very similar to one in San Diego. They do not have anything in it but has some very nice plants along it. I think it will make a very nice pond for kois/fancy gold fish. Mahseers is good too but not as colorful.
I agree with the mahseers. They get to a good size, very active and non aggressive. Also I don't think they'd go after smaller schooling fish. Maybe someone else could come in on that last part.

3090 Jim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2017
is the 65 degree taken from the water temp or air temp?? i only ask because my tank out side in an uninsulated wooden shed alway sits about 5' above the air temp
Truthfully I'm guessing a bit on temp, based on the old pond. The filtration is all outside and the inside air is kept around 70 year round. It gets a fair amount of sun from the large windows and skylights.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
turtles require ALOT of filtration that turtle tank smell doesn't do it for most office spaces plus the sliders would end up getting out and strolling through the office everywhere
No one said it would be EASY LOL, but it would be cool :D

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Holy smokes! I would say goldfish would be an endearing and colourful addition. Plus the size they would reach in there!

Reactions: GamerChick5567

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I like the mahseer recommendation. Giant danios would be fine in that temp range. They actually take pretty cool temps fine. Albino channel cats are another option. I know they are small, but if you have ever seen a school of 300-500 albino cories that is pretty cool. They will be fine at those temps, I used to bring them from 72 down to 65 to get them to spawn. I also liked the big gar option.

Gold tinfoil barbs would look great from above and I have seen them take pretty low temps. Roseline sharks are another great schooling option. Red glass barbs could be cool in a large school.

Someone mentioned cool water cichlids. Gymnogeos would love that set up, but usually cichlids don't look great from above. I personally like the hi fin banded loaches. They get huge and go through some cool color changes. Even better would be Leptobotia elongatata. That is an amazing loach that goes through pretty big temp swings. The gold dojo is an interesting idea as well. They get bigger than many people realize (though still not huge).

Rainbows are an option. Seriously fish claims turquoise can take down to 68F. If that is true then it is an awesome fish. I had them in a tank I had to look at from above and they were beautiful. They would flash that yellow streak down their head in the mornings and it was great. I never pushed them that cold though for any extended period of time though.

The fact is you have room to make this a pretty awesome community. Have fun and figure out what you like. Your temp range isn't as restrictive as you think. The biggest thing to remember is that the fish need to look good from above. That is why you see so many albinos in my suggestions.

3090 Jim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2017
Thank you all for your feedback. As mentioned, I am new to FW other than koi. Based on your suggestions, I'm going to try the following fish as they are available:

Manseers
Male sailfin Molly
Gold Dojo Loach
Green Neon Danios
Large neon tetras
Pit bull pleco
Blue cobra guppy. Male
Emerald green Cory cat
Golden white cloud
Longfin white cloud
Assorted platy
Assorted swordtail
Zebra longfin Danio
Gold longfin danio
Australian rainbow
Gold tinfoil barb
Red glass barb
Rose line sharks
Albino cory
Albino channel Cats
Hi fin banded loaches

Ghost shrimp
Cobalt blue Lobster

My LFS has lame FW fish (great salt though) so I'm planning on buying off liveaquaria.com since I've had great success with them in the past.

I truly appreciate the help and suggestions. Let me know if you have additional suggestions or a better option for buying fish.

Jim

Reactions: Hendre

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I full sized channel cat could eat that whole stocklist by itself.
They also grow very fast.
Pitbull/Rubber plecos will need heat and they're really not as tough as the bristlenose
the butterfly suckers and hillstream loaches come from colder water streams and rivers- they might fit in to that niche better. Other than that I am incredibly excited for you- and more than just a little jealous :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store