new 55 gallon

arowanaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Louisiana
hey guys im planning on getting a new 55 for my house and i know a couple things i want in it but i have some questions.

so far i plan on stocking: X1 african brown knife, X1 peacock eel. (both in my growout tank)

i was also wondering if i could put these with paranas? or would they just get slaughtered lol.

if not paranas i was thinking 1 or 2 tiger oscars..

im putting sand substrate with a couple caves and rocks for the nocturnal guys..but im really shooting for an oddball tank..im also thinking about bichir and i have some clown loaches in another tank but i dont think ill put em in.

just looking for some input:D, thanks.

Neko-Chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Shibuya
Maybe go with the Oscars over the piranha, but me thinks 55 gal might be small when the oscars get full grown, you might be able to get away with it for now =^___^= Just keep Mr Eel and KKnife Fish Big so that oscars wont bother them, and Also Hiding places one for Mr eel and Mr Brown Knife =^_^= And some really good good filtration for Messy Oscars! Weeeee, i had those in a 55 once to grow... the 2 oscars, african brown knife, and an eel, but then i gave my oscars away and my eel away to some one that wanted them and they didnt have money for it.. any ways.. weee! =^____^=

Big-Kev

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Neko-Chan;2084140; said:
Maybe go with the Oscars over the piranha, but me thinks 55 gal might be small when the oscars get full grown, you might be able to get away with it for now =^___^= Just keep Mr Eel and KKnife Fish Big so that oscars wont bother them, and Also Hiding places one for Mr eel and Mr Brown Knife =^_^= And some really good good filtration for Messy Oscars! Weeeee, i had those in a 55 once to grow... the 2 oscars, african brown knife, and an eel, but then i gave my oscars away and my eel away to some one that wanted them and they didnt have money for it.. any ways.. weee! =^____^=
^^ I agree, Oscar is the better choice but the oscar and that knife will outgrow a 55gal tank. If you don't have the 55 yet then I would consider getting a bigger tank. Piranhas don't play well with others, there may be a short time of truce which fools some into thinking they get along. However, bad things will eventually happen.

Cichlidgirl91

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
Michigan
I wouldn't get Oscars unless you are planning to upgrade them later on. Bichirs are fun. If you're going with the oddball theme, you could also consider Leopard Bushfish or African Butterfly fish. They're both pretty oddball-ish.
For a cheap, cool-looking cave, you could always make your own coconut caves. There are websites out there that show you how to do it. Good luck!

MommyJulia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
A, A
Cichlidgirl91;2084337; said:
I wouldn't get Oscars unless you are planning to upgrade them later on. Bichirs are fun. If you're going with the oddball theme, you could also consider Leopard Bushfish or African Butterfly fish. They're both pretty oddball-ish.
For a cheap, cool-looking cave, you could always make your own coconut caves. There are websites out there that show you how to do it. Good luck!

I agree. Oscars grow pretty fast too from my experience. They didn't last long in my 55 gallon.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The Oscars would be a better choice over the Piranhas. But a 55g would get a bit cramped for the big guy. Dats grow very slow. How about some of those?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
African oddballs like butterfly fish and ctenopoma do sound like a good idea, perhaps also some synodontis, especially upside-downs, which do have what could be described as oddball behavior

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
The African brown knife will not get any larger than 6 or 7 inches. It's the other knives, e.g. Black Ghost Knife, Royal and Clown knives, that get up to (max) 18" and 2-2.5 feet respectfully, under ideal conditions. The abk would have no defense against a full grown Oscar in a 55 gallon; and it's no fun to just hide in a crevice in the rocks 24/7. Mine patrols the tank throughout the day, in with Severums, Red Bay Snooks, ad a bgk.
Good luck. I'd go with a bigger tank.:)

arowanaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Louisiana
so what size tank you guys considering..granted that i have a $30 month allowance and about $180 saved up right now..i dont think i can afford too much. i really wanna stay in the hobby for a while with maybe even my own fish room with tanks like 400's 300's and 200's..but im only 15 here so cut me some slack :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store