New 60 gallon peacock tank

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
So after a complete failed attempt at getting an old used 55 gallon setup to work I decided to take advantage of a recent sale and bought a new 60 gallon marineland combo to start fresh. - thanks everyone for all the previous advice.

For filtration I transferred a fully cycled sponge filter from an old tank (80gal fast flow) and an eheim 2213 canister (up to 55-60 gal).

I then transferred the 2 peacocks I bought first and then added 6 more to start. I'm still trying to decide if I want an all male tank or not, but because they had these smaller ones on sale, I figured I could get more at once to up the number and see how things play out.

I figure I'm bound to have both male and female in that batch so I can go either way once they start growing and coloring up.

I'm pretty happy how it's coming along so far. I definitely LOVE the dimensions on this tank, it looks much bigger than it is. Something about its shape seems very pleasing to look at in person.

20190703_172847.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Looks like you are off to a good start. Most of my Aulunocara came from the unsexed juvenile Peacock tank too. Hope you have the same good luck I had.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Thank you, I hope so too!

I was taking a look at them this morning and it looks like they might be starting to settle in a bit better, they were more out and about.

It also seems like they might be starting to color up some too - or maybe they already had it, hard to tell because they looked so washed out at the LFS.

20190706_085545.jpg

20190706_085542.jpg

20190706_085534.jpg

20190706_085427.jpg

20190706_085217.jpg

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Quick question. Do you use anything to bring up the ph.

I was thinking about maybe adding something like crushed coral or aragonite.

I've never been one to chase PH parameters but I was wondering if that would be a stable option instead of chemicals. I'm currently sitting at 7.1. Or maybe not bother at all?

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Looks like a male Sunshine, maybe a German Red and for sure an OB. I think you did very well. The fish look very healthy. I think its better to growout a group of juvenile Africans together rather than periodically adding adults. Seems to make for a more harmonious community, plus I like just paying five bucks a piece for the juvies, over paying sixty bucks for adult males. Lol.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Quick question. Do you use anything to bring up the ph.

I was thinking about maybe adding something like crushed coral or aragonite.

I've never been one to chase PH parameters but I was wondering if that would be a stable option instead of chemicals. I'm currently sitting at 7.1. Or maybe not bother at all?

If that ph is stable with your water coming out of the tap you could leave it be without adding crushed coral or Aragonite. If ph from tap got lower I personally would add crushed coral or Aragonite. I agree don't bother with chemicals.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Just construct your hardscape with limestone. My show tank has approx. 150 lbs. Of honeycombed limestone in it. I paid between 12 cents to 25 cents per pound from my local rock yard / landscape company. It was fun hunting for show rocks & constructing the hardscape. That should safely bump up your PH to no more than 8.2.

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
I might just do that. Seems easy enough I just didnt like the idea of big Ph fluctuations. Otherwise I'll leave it as is as tlindsey suggested.

So with the limestone- I usually do 50% water changes every week. would this translate into a big PH swing when I do so, or not enough to be a concern?

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I also do a 50% WC once a week. I have only seen positive effects regarding the fish's health.
Even in huge bodies of water like Lake Malawi, minor season PH changes occur due to torrential rains and flooded tributaries filling the lake with neutral PH rain water.

Reactions: Galactik
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store