New Baby SAL

FrankFyldja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2019
St. Paul, MN
Just arrived yesterday from exoticfishshop.net. Sorry for the bad pic. Bought my black wolf fish from Steve before and shipping was excellent as always.
Hi Drizzt! I know this is from all the way back in February, but I was wondering how your Lungfish was doing.
I just got a 3” a few days ago, and I’m worried about it. What was normal behavior for yours around that size? Any tips are welcome!

Drizzt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2006
Central California
Hi Drizzt! I know this is from all the way back in February, but I was wondering how your Lungfish was doing.
I just got a 3” a few days ago, and I’m worried about it. What was normal behavior for yours around that size? Any tips are welcome!
Thanks for asking. Mine is doing good. He's still fairly small but I would guess it's about 7" and just a tiny bit thicker. I'll post new pics when I get a chance plus he has some new tank mates.

As for his behavior when I first got him, he didn't do much. Mostly just wedged himself in between the filter or heater. I had some plants floating in the tank as well that he would hide in. What is yours doing that worries you?

Reactions: FrankFyldja

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Remember SAL are nocturnal, so you won't see much happening until they figure out when food is regularly around during the day. Then you might see it moving towards the food or gulping air.

FrankFyldja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2019
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for asking. Mine is doing good. He's still fairly small but I would guess it's about 7" and just a tiny bit thicker. I'll post new pics when I get a chance plus he has some new tank mates.

As for his behavior when I first got him, he didn't do much. Mostly just wedged himself in between the filter or heater. I had some plants floating in the tank as well that he would hide in. What is yours doing that worries you?
Remember SAL are nocturnal, so you won't see much happening until they figure out when food is regularly around during the day. Then you might see it moving towards the food or gulping air.
I would definitely love to see pics!

Yeah, my SAL is just floating on plants at the surface, and doesn’t do much. Glad to know that’s semi-standard at this stage. I did read somewhere that might be an indication it’s still getting used to surroundings.

My main concern is that mine hasn’t shown much interest in food. I have mine in a planted 10Gal because it’s so small, and perhaps it’s finding food when I’m not observing. I got it to eat 3 bloodworms 2 days ago, but it didn’t eat yesterday. I did my feeding around 6pm, so maybe it was still too early? Aside from bloodworms, I tried feeding “Freshwater Frenzy” frozen cube (in like those FW multipack frozen foods). And a spirulina frozen mix, too.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The best way to know that it is eating is by putting it in a breeder net, and only putting a blood worm or 2 in the net. If it's still there a few hours later then it is not eating. The breeder net will also give it easy access to the surface versus the bottom of a 10g tank. When my SAL was 3" it ate every day for 2-3 feedings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store