New Bargain Project - What Would You Do With It?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Do you sell these in your shop on here ? I love it. Not sure I would do ivy but that will look really cool. I would do WCMM rather than goldfish.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Really glad that some of you like it. I'm sure it'll look 100% better once the plants grow and take over. Thanks for the nice comments and advice, will put another update up in a month and happy for any recommendations before then :)

Reactions: Deadeye

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I’m thinking minnows, danios, and some hillstream loaches would be nice.
Seems too small for a goldfish (really all tanks are).
Do you sell these in your shop on here ? I love it. Not sure I would do ivy but that will look really cool. I would do WCMM rather than goldfish.
So... how many danios/minnows would you guys say with the tank size and filtration in mind? I'm thinking of having a spend up tomorrow or Monday.

Also added a few more plants today that I'm looking forward to showing you all soon. Starting to really look like an indoor miniature pond!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Probably 8-12 would work.

Reactions: Bluesandtwo

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...I'm thinking of having a spend up tomorrow or Monday...
Yeah, that's how most of my "bargain" projects end up; they almost always turn into "spend ups". :)

This is going to be lovely. I must admit that I am a bit partial to your original vision, with the cork bark. I think that would have benefited from the addition of a large single slab of bark covering the entire back wall, behind those tubes you made. A trickle of water running down the wall, Java Moss growing both submersed and emersed, maybe some air plants? I've always wanted to try a set-up like that.

The new version is a little too IKEA/Eurotech for my taste, but once the plants start to fill in it will be a beauty. Keep us posted! :)

Also, I think this calls for a peaceful, quiet variety of fauna, rather than the somewhat frenetic pace of a bunch of schooling Danios. Maybe a single Betta? A pair of Croaking Gouramis or other miniature Anabantids? A colony of Cherry Shrimp? I dunno, just personal taste at this point. Good luck with whatever you choose!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Maybe galaxy or chili rasbora's. They are smaller and not as common. I like the gourami idea too.

Reactions: Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
wont that cork bark rot in the water?
Beats me. That's why I'm hoping someone else will try it to find out! :)

Kidding aside, I have no idea. Haven't ever come close enough to trying this project to research it myself...but you're right, the possibility needs examination before getting too carried away with it.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i want to make a paludarium but i think it requires mopani wood because its much harder sort of wood and also aquarium safe silicone

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store