New big rtgg rescue.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
WhAt are you lot feeding yours?
My new guy loves hikari and mussel, not eaten any veg yet tho. Tried carrot, tomatoe, lettuce, cucumber, runner bean.... Normals I've kept in the past loved most veg?
I feed mine pellets,mussel, shrimp and blanched peas. And sporadical some color enhancing pellets for koi.

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Nice fish dude, different species tho:)
Gotta love them true Giants

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
WhAt are you lot feeding yours?
My new guy loves hikari and mussel, not eaten any veg yet tho. Tried carrot, tomatoe, lettuce, cucumber, runner bean.... Normals I've kept in the past loved most veg?
I find that my GG likes softer texture food. I feed her (?) mainly romaine lettuce and grapes, small tomatoes and berries. I also supplement with a bit of Tetra Jumbomins, which is the only pellets she'll eat.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Nice fish dude, different species tho:)
Gotta love them true Giants
Understood, but point being, things don't always reach/meet the generalized expectancy.

Reactions: justarn

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm sure mines got an eating disorder. I know when he's hungry because he does the full begging trick when I go near the tank. I'll feed him when he begs, which sometimes can be several times a day, and he'll wolf down the lot. Other times he'll not beg, i'll put some food in anyway and he won't touch it! So I only feed him when he begs now. The longest he's gone without eating, begging, is 4 days, it dosen't seem to bother him. I feed him on his terms now, not when I think he should eat.

And when he does eat he has favourite foods but his fads don't last long before he's onto another favourite food. I can feed him strawberries for example, which he usually loves, then the next day he won't take one piece of strawberry, i'll end up syphoning them out.

Fruits and vegetables are fine but I think they've got to have some "proper" fish food as well which has all the fishy goodness in. My staple is hikari large floating pellets which he's always liked but just recently over the past month or so he's leaving the hikari pellets and just eating his low value fruit and veg.

Whether this nutritional deficit begins to affect him health wise I don't know. Occasionally he goes on a protein romp where he'll only eat prawns, krill, bloodworm and earthworms and then he'll come off it and go back to his fruit and veg. Feeding him is worse than feeding my picky 7 year old lad at times.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Sounds like it lol, the normals I've kept before are dustbins, maybe it's a rtgg thing.
He ate lots of peas today so I guess it's mussel, peas and hikari cichlid gold...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
He eats bananas too:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store