New Breidohri and Freddy juvies ID confirmation

nirmal

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Recently i ordered a couple of breidohri and friedrichsthalli. Its been close to a month and they are eating well. Now that they are about 2-3inches, im getting a bit doubtful about the ID, especially the breidohri.

B2_4_2m_5June18.JPG
Fred2_3_2m_5June18.JPG
The breidohri seems to have red on the edges of the fins, which seems be absent in other photos i have checked. Is it possible to have confirmation on the ID at this size ? Thanks :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

The pic you posted looks very much like young breidhori to me.
The pic above is a young one, maybe slightly under 1.5", below are its parents.

male above, female below

They don't start looking like true breidhori, until about 5" for the male, 4" for the female.
And when they spawn they take on an entirely different look.

fry below

nirmal

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Thanks, really looking forward to them growing and coloring up. A full grown breidohri is a sight to behold ! Any idea about the growth rates i can expect ?

nirmal

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Bumping up an old thread, the fishes have grown a bit now, maybe around 5". Im still doubtful about the ID. Any comments friends ? Thanks
IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4701.JPG

Reactions: Toiletcar

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would agree it does not look much like a breidohri to me. The first picture, it did, as most vieja look like that at 3" long or so. Now, if I had to guess, would say zonatum or guttalatum. vieja are some of the toughest fish to get a good ID on. You will have to wait until it colors up completely for a better ID.
The other fish does look like a Freddie to me

nirmal

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Thats a bummer, I was really hoping to keep briedohri, looks like i have to wait, they dont come around here often.Could be hartwegi then, the mouth structure is not like zonatus.

The other fish does look like a Freddie to me
Freddie by new definition or the old one ? :D It was sold to me as yellow jacket, and the body shape makes me think it could be loiselle (old definition).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store