New Build ~ 600 Gallon

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Fish tank travis beat me to it lol

Also wanted to understand your drip system. Im hopeing to install one soon and really have no knowledge on how they work and if their are any fail safes to prevent flooding
Ah gotcha. I think I will post a separate thread on my drip. It would just get lost in here. Cliff notes:

-It is heated via a thermostatic mixing valve. The water is preset to 80 degrees before it enters the tank.
-It is four stage filtration.
-Stage 1 = x2 sediment filters (5 micron)
-Stage 2 = x2 carbon block filters to remove chlorine and/or chloramine
-Adjustable per tank - I use drip irrigation line and emitters on a manifold to to adjust flow in 4 GPH increments
Fail safes - mechanical float switches so I do not run a pump dry on restart and am in the process of building a reverse float valve for the drip exit/overflow. Theory is solid and proof of concept worked on a bucket

Please keep in mind the drip system isn't just for this tank. There are many tanks in the room that run off of this system. I have been operating drip systems for years and will never go back. Trust me, you should do it. You won't regret it.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I understand the concept now. I like that design a lot.

Do you mind posting a link to the thermostatic mixing valve that you use. I've heard of those before and they really seem to be an awesome component to have.

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I understand the concept now. I like that design a lot.

Do you mind posting a link to the thermostatic mixing valve that you use. I've heard of those before and they really seem to be an awesome component to have.
Glad that makes sense. The design is solid I just have yet to see anyone try anything like it before. I'm sure I'll find a flaw in there somewhere.

I don't have the link handy but here is a pic of the box. If you google the UPC code under the barcode or part number (AM100C) it should come right up.

IMG_1330.JPG IMG_1332.JPG

Forgive the condensation. I need to wrap the cold incoming line in insulation.
Blue - cold
Red - hot
White - mix
EDIT: the line to the right side is for a faucet adapter so I have temp matched water to fill or top off without pulling out the phython. I just need to finish plumbing it

Last edited:

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Do you have a thread where you discuss the drip system? Are you doing water changes or just letting the drip dilute waste? If you are using a drip-dilution system, why bother with the fancy filters?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Do you have a thread where you discuss the drip system? Are you doing water changes or just letting the drip dilute waste? If you are using a drip-dilution system, why bother with the fancy filters?
Drip only and I do not have a thread. That thread will be in another month or so. Need to move a tank and cleanup my work first. It's not clean looking just functional at the moment. No manual water changes needed though.

Filters are because rays. The bio load is crazy with pregnant females. That and mechanical is an issue for most ray keepers. Clearly I enjoy setting up tanks. There's that too lol

Lastly I bought filters that can support a larger tank when I upgrade this setup.

Reactions: Grinch

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
We were in Talum, on the southern peninsula. About 30 minutes south of Cancun. We love that area. I got to snorkle in a mangrove lagoon which is something I've never done before and awesome. I spent a solid half hour watching a group of 18"+ parrot fish chew away at algea.
We will be a bit north of Tulum, but are heading there for a day trip. If you have anything specific we should check out let me know! We are staying at the Barcelo Maya, a little south of Playa Del Carmen. I am packing some fishing gear and have a day of deep see fishing booked. Did you snorkel in any cenotes? See any cichlids?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
We will be a bit north of Tulum, but are heading there for a day trip. If you have anything specific we should check out let me know! We are staying at the Barcelo Maya, a little south of Playa Del Carmen. I am packing some fishing gear and have a day of deep see fishing booked. Did you snorkel in any cenotes? See any cichlids?
We were a bit north as well. I think you should try and see if you can get into some off the grid snorkeling. Most of the tour guides know some spots that aren't part of tours. That's what we did. The mangrove lagoon I mentioned was a spot the tour guide goes to on his own. Xcaret is cool but very tourist. The underground river floating there is awesome though. You have to go check out the ruins in Talum. I am a sucker for anything pre-Christianity and megalithic type structures.

We did the zip lines, rock climbing, snorkeled in two open top cenotes and an underground cenote (NOT a fan of that one). Not much in the way of cichlids but I did see a ton of 12"+ uro's in one of the random resorts we stopped by.

IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1340.JPG

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
We were a bit north as well. I think you should try and see if you can get into some off the grid snorkeling. Most of the tour guides know some spots that aren't part of tours. That's what we did. The mangrove lagoon I mentioned was a spot the tour guide goes to on his own. Xcaret is cool but very tourist. The underground river floating there is awesome though. You have to go check out the ruins in Talum. I am a sucker for anything pre-Christianity and megalithic type structures.

We did the zip lines, rock climbing, snorkeled in two open top cenotes and an underground cenote (NOT a fan of that one). Not much in the way of cichlids but I did see a ton of 12"+ uro's in one of the random resorts we stopped by.

View attachment 1249077 View attachment 1249078
Nice tattoos. Are they painful to get?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Glad that makes sense. The design is solid I just have yet to see anyone try anything like it before. I'm sure I'll find a flaw in there somewhere.

I don't have the link handy but here is a pic of the box. If you google the UPC code under the barcode or part number (AM100C) it should come right up.

View attachment 1249016 View attachment 1249017

Forgive the condensation. I need to wrap the cold incoming line in insulation.
Blue - cold
Red - hot
White - mix
EDIT: the line to the right side is for a faucet adapter so I have temp matched water to fill or top off without pulling out the phython. I just need to finish plumbing it
Will that automatically adjust based on hot water running out, or does it just keep a constant flow from each line?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store