New Build ~ 600 Gallon

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Hey bud, how is the system? Got time for a quick question about sump pumps and drip systems. I live here in Cold, coldish CT. My house doesn't have an infloor drain, but it does have washer drain that goes out to the sceptic tank. Im not very confident that running a drain through the wall and down into a pipe won't freeze in the winter. If I run a pipe into the washer drain it means first pumping the water nearly to the ceiling first. The aquarium is in a finished den about 10ft away and there is a cement wall that divides the space (with a small access panel/bulkhead at the ceiling that runs pipes and electrical between the spaces). How would you tackle this? Do I get a big overflow tank with a sump at the bottom and hope I can build enough pressure to push the water up the pipe, or do I try to run a pipe outside? Anyway, if you have time, I'd love to hear your thoughts (and anyone else for that matter).

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Hey bud, how is the system? Got time for a quick question about sump pumps and drip systems. I live here in Cold, coldish CT. My house doesn't have an infloor drain, but it does have washer drain that goes out to the sceptic tank. Im not very confident that running a drain through the wall and down into a pipe won't freeze in the winter. If I run a pipe into the washer drain it means first pumping the water nearly to the ceiling first. The aquarium is in a finished den about 10ft away and there is a cement wall that divides the space (with a small access panel/bulkhead at the ceiling that runs pipes and electrical between the spaces). How would you tackle this? Do I get a big overflow tank with a sump at the bottom and hope I can build enough pressure to push the water up the pipe, or do I try to run a pipe outside? Anyway, if you have time, I'd love to hear your thoughts (and anyone else for that matter).
No problem, happy to help. The system is going great. I have learned a lot about this combo of filtration, pushed a few limits, had some ideas not work and had some major wins. I'll compile and post those soon.

Honestly you should be looking at a simple sump pump from Home Depot or Lowes. They run heavier on power consumption but have excellent head height. They are designed to pump out of a basement to the floor above so the height should not matter nearly as much. My concern would be getting the effluent from the sump pump down the washing line without it exceeding the ability of that drain. Since you are already pumping that high you might as well go right through a wall to outside. That is what I run and have been for a long time.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Justin you used sump pumps right off the shelf from HD or Lowes? I've heard those have oil in them, though maybe not all do? If I was in that situation I think I'd do something similar, though I think I'd get a regular aquarium pump that can handle some head, then set it up with a few float valves. Have a pair to turn the pump on when the water gets too high, one to do that plus a backup, then another and a backup to turn the pump off when the water gets low.

That said, in the event of a power outage you'll still need to make sure the sump can handle all of the water, a good deal above the pump turning on mark since you'll get a lot of extra water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store