New Build ~ 600 Gallon

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Justin you used sump pumps right off the shelf from HD or Lowes? I've heard those have oil in them, though maybe not all do? If I was in that situation I think I'd do something similar, though I think I'd get a regular aquarium pump that can handle some head, then set it up with a few float valves. Have a pair to turn the pump on when the water gets too high, one to do that plus a backup, then another and a backup to turn the pump off when the water gets low.

That said, in the event of a power outage you'll still need to make sure the sump can handle all of the water, a good deal above the pump turning on mark since you'll get a lot of extra water.
Correct, I use the sump pumps straight off of the shelf. The oil is of no concern as this is just waste effluent from the drip system. None of this water ever touches a tank again. I thought about going aquarium pumps but am too attracted to a Home Depot run and a 4 minute swap out when the pump dies. I have the spare pump in the shed but have never used it. I have my system dialed in so there are no overflows etc.. but one could easily set it up wrong if they didn't have the experience.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Definitely looking forward to an update!!

Still working on the 550 here. I should have just bought an acrylic tank. I'm not sure I've saved money, to be honest. Yeah, my biggest concern right now is heating and overflow drain.

So the idea, is that the sump will overflow into another tank via a bulkhead. There was a video on youtube, I have to look for it, where a guy plumbed the overflow into his return piping... I cannot recall how. I want to find that video and do that. But yeah, overflow into another tank and pump out to the washer drain--to the sceptic tank. My current overflow on my 200gal drains to that drain and I've never had a problem. Maybe its a temp fix until I can figure a drain system outside an exterior wall. I'm just afraid of the pipe freezing and water backing up into my basement.

Anix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2017
Okay, so not inline with the return pump.. but this doesn't seem like a bad idea either

Reactions: dr exum

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Correct, I use the sump pumps straight off of the shelf. The oil is of no concern as this is just waste effluent from the drip system. None of this water ever touches a tank again. I thought about going aquarium pumps but am too attracted to a Home Depot run and a 4 minute swap out when the pump dies. I have the spare pump in the shed but have never used it. I have my system dialed in so there are no overflows etc.. but one could easily set it up wrong if they didn't have the experience.
I think I may have misunderstood, I was thinking you put the sump pump into your sump, then it kicks on when the water is too high, however it sounds like you set it up like a normal drip system, it overflows the sump into a different container/sump, then is pumped out from there?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I think I may have misunderstood, I was thinking you put the sump pump into your sump, then it kicks on when the water is too high, however it sounds like you set it up like a normal drip system, it overflows the sump into a different container/sump, then is pumped out from there?
Correct, all of the drip effluent from different tanks drains to one central reservoir. It pumps out from that reservoir. I've never been successful putting a sump pump inside a sump for a tank.

Reactions: fishguy306
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store