New camera - Learning to use Nikon D 5600

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ve been practicing a lot. Still not great, but I think some improvement. For some shots I may need to get a different lens to get the sharpness I want.
My sons fish. Not a favorite of mine, but he holds still most of the time. Haha
177B89BD-AEC2-40B4-A925-F21E2C313B75.jpeg
My husbands favorite rainbow fish
B8C001C9-8B65-41FB-8B4D-D1E5D629F5F9.jpeg

These sadly didn’t turn out well. Too dark/blurry, but I like her face in them. She was begging for food at the time.
6B83BFB2-572B-4481-A58B-8E9B68A93FD1.jpegC61C937A-8D7A-4A8E-AD5F-FA2BA1F9B094.jpeg242917C0-2B32-419E-AE25-113AC60AFA5B.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Great looking fish and shot.

Reactions: tlindsey and MrsE88

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Photography is a hobby that's really starting to grow in me as I'm taking it a bit more serious lately. With full disclaimer, I'm not a professional, but will offer some tips?

Lighting will be a key component no matter what you shoot. With fish in aquariums, I find it best to have the lighting placed towards the front of your tank. This accomplished two things: fish tend to come to the front of the tank as they see you, thus putting them right under the light and this will drown out everything in the background.

Shoot in manual, as it maybe a quick way to learn the basics (shutter, aperature, and iso).

Shoot in raw format, which will give you the most flexibility during post editing.

Lastly, have fun! Great first photos btw!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
How do you get the fish to look like it’s surrounded by blackness?
It is mostly done by moving the light close to the front glass as midasman714 midasman714 just described. I have just started to shoot manually too. I can post specifics for any of the shots for those wanting to know.
Having a high iso, low f stop, and quick enough shutter to get stills of moving fish is what I’ve been working on. It’s a big learning curve but lots of fun:)

For the pictures that are completely blacked out I used Snapseed to edit them. I use the burn tool to darken or completely blackout the background.

Photography is a hobby that's really starting to grow in me as I'm taking it a bit more serious lately. With full disclaimer, I'm not a professional, but will offer some tips?

Lighting will be a key component no matter what you shoot. With fish in aquariums, I find it best to have the lighting placed towards the front of your tank. This accomplished two things: fish tend to come to the front of the tank as they see you, thus putting them right under the light and this will drown out everything in the background.

Shoot in manual, as it maybe a quick way to learn the basics (shutter, aperature, and iso).

Shoot in raw format, which will give you the most flexibility during post editing.

Lastly, have fun! Great first photos btw!
I have yet to shoot in raw. I’ve only done jpeg so far.
It was a big jump going to manual! I won’t lie, after my first attempt I was about ready to call it quits. It wasn’t till I joined some groups and was watching what settings people used before I worked up the courage to try again.
Then I read up on the exposure triangle (though I still don’t fully understand it).
I feel it’s a hobby that sucks you in, just like fish keeping!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store