New cichild tank

RAYKEYPR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
CAMBRIA, MICHIGAN
well, your tanks are very clean, i will give you that.
sweet geo!!!!!!
i do a cichlid gravel, or sand (black brings out color alot) add you own personal touches.
i do h20 changes once a week on my cichlid tank, because of population mainly. and when i do, i change stuff around, which is an exellent idea when you bring home new fish, this way they can establish new territory.

good luck

mav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
NY
I wnat to build more height in my 125 with african and south american mixed. My rock structures always tend to fall over..anysuggestions. I will try to get som picks up this weekend.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
sand with river rocks in the mix then alot of rocks in a massive build up thenn add in some clay pots =)

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
mav said:
I wnat to build more height in my 125 with african and south american mixed. My rock structures always tend to fall over..anysuggestions. I will try to get som picks up this weekend.
I would suggest you place the larger rocks at the bottom and try to bury them down to the glass. This will stop them from moving if the fish clean a hole. This will allow you to then build up your stack to the height you want. I would suggest you only use fairly largish rocks something like in the tank on page1. :naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

grenade3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
ventura, california
stick with crushed coral, if you get some good stuff from carib-sea substrates it will not be an issue keeping it clean. use a gravel vacum every 7 days with a water change. it does such a great job of the pH buffering.

grenade3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
ventura, california
also i notice the tank above has styrofoam under it, if this a good idea, i have heard mixed things. what does everyone else do? i might add my stand is just one i got from work with 4 2x4's and a hole in the middle, what shoudl i do here, i figure next time i change the water in my 60 i should be able to muster the strength to squeez something in there.

fischfan13

Banned
Feb 9, 2006
Jersey Shore
www.*****************.org
Tropheus and Malawiian's can co-exist.
They both do excellent on an all-vegetable diet. I give my Africans HBH 8 Veggie Flakes and NLS Cichlid Formula...and have NEVER had a dietary problem.
BTW, the Tropheus tank pictured is GREAT!

As for mixing Africans and South Americans...I'm against it.
AC's benefit from much different water conditions than SA's.

grenade3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
ventura, california
Ash said:
sand with river rocks in the mix then alot of rocks in a massive build up thenn add in some clay pots =)

this or you can use a product by marineland called holdfast, i am sure you have heard of it. it is for bonding liverock but works well if you are using lava rock or cement rock. its worth a try, done right it can look awesome and be super sturdy.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
grenade3 said:
this or you can use a product by marineland called holdfast, i am sure you have heard of it. it is for bonding liverock but works well if you are using lava rock or cement rock. its worth a try, done right it can look awesome and be super sturdy.
My friend used a type of aquarium safe clear glue and used pvc pipes to make a cave then glued the gravel over the outside of the pipe so it would look more natural and he also glued plants onto it's pretty cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store