New cichlid help and info please.....

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
After doing some research, I stand corrected.

Scientific Quote:

Tanganyika is also around non-basaltic volcanoes, and picks up some of its chemistry from lava drainage. This is a factor in making Tanganyika quite a bit higher in pH and hardness, and more complex. Tanganyikan pH ranges from 8.7-9.0, and has a much higher amount of metallic cations that contribute to general hardness. Also higher are the reading for carbonates and bicarbonates. There are an absolutely incredible amount of dissolved solids in Tanganyika that are not found in the other two lakes and thus, has a very high electrical conductivity.

Malawi being such a large body of water, it should not come as a surprise that the pH values are rarely agreed upon, with values ranging from 7.7-8.8, depending upon where you look it up.

Lake Victoria is very similar to Malawi, moderately hard, with a pH range of, again, 7.7-8.8, while generally on the lower end. It also is high in nitrate and phosphorus, while both components are undetected or dubious in either of the other Lakes.

Soo, With that said.. It looks as if africans are Highly Adaptable.. ? Who agrees.. ?

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
I keep My Boulengerochromis microlepis which is from Tanganyika in a tank that has a ph of about 7.0-7.5 max and it is thriving. I don't feed it African cichlid food, in fact I feed all my fish the same food. They are all healthy and growing

spryandspringy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
The Lone Star State!
Though the focus seems to be on the differences in your opinions, I see more similarities. Though each contributor has expressed a different opinion about one aspect of water quality (pH), as much emphasis has been put on all the other myriad aspects. We cichlid folks often get so caught up on this one, relatively small factor, that we "throw the fry out with the bathwater." :)

To sum up all of the input here:

1. Do the best you can with what you've got.
2. Monitor the health and well-being of your fish.
3. Consult the experts if you run into problems.

and most importantly:

4. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

:grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store